What support can I get?

If you have NRPF you may still be able to access publicly funded services:

Ashford Place:

Ashford Place is a community resource centre. Their main areas of support are Housing (for those with a connection to Brent only), Training, Employment & Enterprise, Substance Misuse Services, Community Engagement. Resettlement, supported housing, tenancy sustainment. Basic skills, work skills and vocational training. Welfare benefits advice.

Services are by appointment only, so please call or email them to speak with one of their advisors.




Shelter offers telephone advice and information for people with a housing problem or who are homeless. Issues dealt with include housing rights, harassment, illegal eviction, rent and mortgage arrears, disrepair, housing benefit, domestic violence, hostel placements and finding accommodation. Helpline open 8am-8pm Monday-Friday and 8am-5pm at weekends. Helpline: 080 8800 4444. There is also information on their website england.shelter.org.uk


Crisis Skylight Brent:

If you are homeless, are at immediate risk of becoming homeless, or have been homeless in the last two years, Crisis Skylight services for free. They offer education, training and support from their offices in Harlesden. If you would like to find out more call to make an appointment: 020 8965 2561



Praxis Community Project

Praxis works with vulnerable migrants in London – including asylum seekers and refugees – providing support, advice, housing, English classes, interpreting and community events.

020 7729 7985 




Doctors of the World have clinics where migrants can access free primary healthcare in London (Bethnal Green and Hackney) and also support migrants to register with health services in their local community. For more information visit: www.doctorsoftheworld.org.uk/ 

For more information you can telephone the

advice line on 020 7515 7534. This runs 10am-12noon, Monday-Friday. They may be able to pay for reasonable transport costs for travelling to the clinic. If you feel unwell you should visit your GP, or in an emergency go to A+E or call 999.

Their London drop-in clinic is open on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. The drop-in list opens at 11am and they operate on a “first come, first served” basis – once the list is full they are unable to see more people. To book an appointment you must contact the advice line. Please be aware you may have to wait a while before being seen. 

Doctors of the world London clinic: Praxis, Pott Street, Bethnal Green, London E2 0EF 

Legal support

Legal aid is available for applications under the domestic violence rule, asylum, cases where you have been identified as a victim of trafficking and if you are detained. For further information about legal aid and to find a legal representative contact Civil Legal Advice or check your eligibility on the Civil Legal Aid calculator at www.gov.uk/legal-aid

  • Rights of Women provide an advice line with free, confidential legal advice on immigration issues. Contact women lawyers on: 020 7251 8887 (telephone) or 020 7490 2562 (textphone) on Mondays 2-4pm and Wednesdays 11am-1pm
  • Asylum Aid offers free, confidential and independent legal advice and representation. The advice line offers free one-off legal advice. The Advice Line 020 7354 9264 operates on Mondays 2.00- 4:30pm and Thursdays 10.00-12:30pm
  • The Citizens Advice Bureau and Law Centres will also be able to provide advice (please see above under ‘where can I get advice?’).
  • You can look for a solicitor or immigration representative in your area using Civil Legal Advice (084 3345 4345 Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm, Saturday, 9am to 12:30pm). 

Help leaving the UK:

Any person who is living in the UK illegally or has been refused permission to enter or stay in the UK can ask to make a voluntary departure, including EEA nationals who are not exercising a right to reside. The Home Office will fund the flight but will expect a person to arrange their own documentation if they do not already have this, unless the person has a vulnerability which means they will be unable to do this or will experience great difficulty in doing this. 

For those returning voluntarily there are the following benefits:

  • They avoid being arrested and having to live in detention until a travel document can be obtained
  • They can leave the UK in a more dignified manner than if their removal is enforced

If removal is enforced by the Home Office, the migrant will face a 10 year re-entry ban. However, a person leaving voluntarily will be subject to a ban of 1-5 years depending on the circumstances of their departure. 

Vulnerable adults may qualify for assisted voluntary return. Although there is no published guidance as to which groups of people would be considered vulnerable or what the threshold is. If an adult is vulnerable and provided with an assisted return, they may receive a financial package. 

To contact the Home Office about voluntary returns and assisted voluntary returns contact 030 0004 0202. 

I have physical and/or mental health support needs

Local authorities are required to provide destitute NRPF migrants with accommodation and/or financial assistance in certain circumstances. For adults without children, such assistance can only be provided when the migrant has eligible needs for care and support due to a disability, illness or mental health condition. In England this duty arises under the Care Act 2014. 

An adult will have eligible needs if:

  1. Their needs arise from or are related to a physical or mental impairment or illness; 
  2. As a result of their needs the adult is unable to achieve two or more of the following outcomes:
  • Managing and maintaining nutrition
  • Maintaining personal hygiene
  • Managing toilet needs
  • Being appropriately clothed
  • Being able to make use of the adult’s home safely
  • Maintaining a habitable home environment
  • Developing and maintaining family or other personal relationships
  • Accessing and engaging in work, training, education or volunteering
  • Making use of necessary facilities or services in the local community, including public transport, and recreational facilities or services
  • Carrying out any caring responsibilities the adult has for a child.

3.    As a consequence there is likely to be a significant impact on the adults wellbeing


There is specific support available for LGBT asylum seekers and refugees.

London Friend

London Friend is a charity promoting health and well-being for LGBT people. They have specific services for LGBT asylum seekers and refugees. These are:

  • Regular ‘Say It Loud’ social groups to help build confidence and self-esteem, and reduce the isolation many LGBT people can feel from having to leave friends and families behind. These run once a month on the first Tuesday of each month 7–9pm at London Friend.
  • Conversational English groups to help build language skills; groups run every Wednesday 11am–1 pm at London Friend.
  • Counselling- London Friend offer free and low-cost counselling to LGBT refugees living in London. They provide 12 weeks of counselling. Sessions are by appointment and accessed following an assessment. To make a referral please call 020 7833 1674.


 London friend is unable to provide legal advice on immigration. 

The UK Lesbian & Gay Immigration Group (UKLGIG) 

UKLGIG provide guidance for LGBT people seeking asylum. They hold monthly asylum legal meetings where solicitors volunteer their time to help people attending the meetings. Information on this can be found at uklgig.org.uk. Alternatively if you cannot attend the meeting, or need to speak to someone more urgently, you can contact UKLGIG on 020 7922 7811 – Monday to Friday, during office hours.