Where can I get advice?

You can find out more about your rights as a migrant on the Shelter website or by calling their helpline– 080 8800 4444 (8am-8pm Monday to Friday, 8am-5pm at weekends). 

The Law Centres Network, may also be able to help.  All Law Centres offer legal advice in person and some run a telephone advice line. Look for the closest Law Centre to you and check if they offer immigration and housing advice. If your local Law Centre cannot help you, they will try to refer you to another nearby organisation that can, or to a nationwide specialist helpline. Law centres are free for those who cannot afford a lawyer.

More information on local law centres near you.

In Brent, the Law Centre is located at:

389 High Road Willesden
Greater London
NW10 2JR

020 8451 1126
Connect with Brent Community Law Centre

You may also be able to get support by visiting a Citizen’s Advice Bureau (CAB). 

Citizens Advice Bureaus are located throughout the UK and give free, confidential information and advice to assist people with money, legal, consumer and other problems.

Brent Citizen Advice Bureau
270-272 High Road Willesden,
London, NW10 2EY

020 8438 1249 (very busy, please keep trying) (available 10am-4pm)

You can also seek legal advice from a lawyer.

 Depending on your financial circumstances and the details of your case, you may be entitled to public funding (also known as legal aid). Public funding means some people who cannot afford to pay for legal advice can get legal advice and representation free of charge.

Circumstances for immigration cases that qualify for legal aid are:

  •          asylum applications
  •          you have been detained
  •          you are applying to settle in the UK (known as indefinite leave to remain) because your relationship has broken down because of domestic violence
  •          you are an EU citizen and are applying to stay in the UK because your relationship has broken down because of domestic violence
  •          you are applying to stay in the UK because you are a victim of trafficking
  •          proceedings before the Special Immigration Appeals Commission
  •          you have received a Terrorism Prevention and Investigation Measure notice
  •          applications for asylum support, but only if you have applied for housing and financial support.

For further information about public funding and getting legal advice contact Civil Legal Advice on 084 3345 4345.