Homeless - older people

If you are currently homeless or facing the threat of homelessness then you may be eligible for housing assistance.

Apply for Housing Assistance

Adult Social Care

If you are unable to stay in your accommodation due to your support needs, we may be able to advise or support you. Contact Adult social care for more information.

Support and care provided in the home can help people live as independently as possible without the upheaval of moving. Services offered to people in their own home range from help with shopping and budgeting, meals on wheels, and care services, such as help with dressing, washing and administering medication.


If you are of an older age and are interested in care and support, please visit Adult Social Care - Older people to find out if you are eligible for a care package and what other options are available to you.

There are also charities and private support organisations who also provide care and support service to older people in their homes who are not eligible or do not wish to access social services support. 

Sheltered Housing

Sheltered housing gives older people the independence of having their own flat with the security of having an alarm system and a warden. The flats are usually small self‐contained units or single rooms in a complex, which often has a communal social area. It is also possible to find sheltered housing to rent or to buy. The sheltered housing staff should check on you every day and be able to assist you in an emergency. They would not be expected to provide care or do things such as shopping.

If you require additional services, you can still have care provided by the social services department, such as meals on wheels, or someone to come in to get you up in the morning, help you wash, or to do your housework.

To apply for sheltered housing you will need to join the Locata register. You will need to be over 60 years old to be eligible. Sheltered properties become available to bid on about once or twice a month so it’s best to consider other options as well. To join the Locata register and bid for properties visit Locata. Alternatively, contact the Locata team 020 8937 2000 or locatahelp@brent.gov.uk


There is a personal rehousing service for Council property tenants looking to move from larger to smaller homes in addition to a cash incentive of £2000 per room downsized (with a maximum of £6000) If you would like further information regarding our Under-Occupation Scheme please contact the tenancy officer on 020 8937 2424.


If you feel that your current accommodation is not suitable and that you may need adaptations within your home to ease your day-to-day life, you may request a visit from an occupational health therapist. This service is through adult social services and can be made by contacting Brent adult social services on 020 8937 4300 option 2.

More information on Adult social care - Support at home 

Other related support:


The Social Isolation in Brent Initiative (SIBI) project aims to target and address social isolation in individuals who are over 18 and identified as being at risk of, or suffering from, social isolation, lack of social contact and low community involvement. SIBI will help identify if there are particular issues contributing to isolation and signpost for assistance, as well as identifying ways of reducing isolation.

Contact Michael Stuart (SIBI Coordinator) sibi@cvsbrent.org.uk

074 1531 5998
020 3011 1699.

WISE project (Brent)

WISE provides day care facilities for the elderly in Brent including people with dementia. It aims to promote the independence and wellbeing of older people. They provide a safe, warm and friendly environment where people can meet others and socialise, enjoy a nourishing healthy meal, and participate in a range of social activities.  The centre has specialist equipment and furniture suitable for the needs of the elderly. The centre is situated on Alric Avenue (near Harlesden police station), NW10 8RA.

020 8128 0983
020 8830 3337

Culture Dementia UK (Brent and National)

Culture Dementia UK supports carers and sufferers of dementia among the British, Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) communities. For example, by providing respite to carers and befriending those living with dementia. It also aims to educate BAME communities on the causes of dementia and dispel myths surrounding it.

080 0014 8682

Elders Voice (Brent)

Elders Voice provide social and practical activities for older people in Brent. They have a computer guidance service, private daycare centres, a dementia café and classes including drama and singing, crochet, dance, Zumba, yoga and a walking club.

Elders Voice run a floating support service. This service can help you with benefit entitlements, housing repairs, moving home, debt management, home safety and security, enjoying an active social life, help to access other services and support you when necessary.

Elders Voice also run an accident prevention handy persons service. This service provides practical support to older people enabling them to live independently and safely at home. They can install smoke alarms, grab rails and other adaptations, locks, bolts, peepholes, curtain rails, blinds and help change light bulbs. They offer a variety of other jobs including small carpentry and plumbing.

020 8968 8170

Age UK Brent (Brent and National)

Age UK Brent have advice services, befriending, advocacy, exercise and IT classes for older people in Brent.

You can contact Age UK Brent by phone, in person, online, email or post.

120 Craven Park Road
NW10 8QD

020 8965 7711


Silver Line a free confidential helpline providing information, friendship and advice to older people. It is available 24 hours, every day a year.

080 0470 8090

Friends of the Elderly

Friends of the Elderly offer grants to elderly people on low incomes.  They currently have three types of grants available:

  • Home essentials – to cover the cost of replacing everyday items, small home repairs and mobility adaptations.
  • Digital connection – can be used towards the cost of equipment, such as tablets and smartphones, as well as broadband costs.
  • Financial support – to help with unexpected bills and large costs, such as utility bills, funeral costs or moving fees.

033 0332 1110

Action on Elder Abuse

Action on Elder Abuse is an organisation that provides information, advice and support to older people who have been abused or those who are concerned about abuse.

The helpline can be contacted on 080 8808 8141. The helpline is available Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm and will not show up on your phone bill.


Homeshare (National)

Homeshare matches people who need help or support around the house with people who need accommodation and are willing to help. The scheme brings together “householders”, someone who would like a helping hand with practical support and companionship and has a spare room with “homesharers” - someone looking for affordable accommodation, who is friendly and willing to provide 10 hours of support around the house, with computers, gardening, shopping and companionship each week. This scheme is open to people who don’t qualify for formal care and also to those who already have care packages in place.

015 1227 3499