Homeless - substance misuse

If you have substance misuse problems, we may be able to provide advice if you are homeless or threatened with homelessness and you are unable to make provisions for yourself. 

Apply for Housing Assistance

If you don’t have access to a computer, you may visit our Customer Services centre at the Brent Civic Centre or your local library to use a computer. You may also refer to your family/friends or other support networks to help if need assistance completing your online application.

Will the council provide me with accommodation?

We can provide advice and support to you to help you find alternative accommodation. However we will not have a duty to provide emergency accommodation or temporarily house you unless you are considered to be eligible, homeless and have priority need.
For more information on the homelessness criteria please visit www.shelter.org.uk or contact Shelter on 080 8800 4444. In addition, you can discuss this with the council when making a homelessness application.

If you are a single person with support needs, the Single Housing Pathway can discuss with you a referral for floating support or supported housing.
If you do not meet the criteria for supported housing or floating support then a referral to the SHPS (Single Homelessness Prevention Service) could be made with your consent. This service will work with you to prevent and relieve your homelessness and sustain accommodation.

Brent Drug and Alcohol Recovery Pathways

Our substance misuse services work closely together and you can access it directly via a single point of contact. Any of the following can also refer you to the single point of access:

  • Other departments of the council
  • Health services
  • Family/friends/carers
  • Criminal justice services

Single point of contact: 080 0023 4650 (24 hours/7 days a week)

When you are referred to this service, the first point of contact is Addaction:

Addaction - The main referral route for advice, information and assessment. They offer group sessions, evening support and needle exchange.

Following an assessment from Addaction, the various pathways that you could be referred to are:

Evolve - Brent’s health and wellbeing service for young people up to the age of 25. They offer support around substance misuse and sexual health support for young people.

ARRC - prescribes treatment for those with complex needs and mental health issues. They offer support regarding community detox, GP shared care and can make referrals to impatient detox and blood-borne viruses testing and vaccinations.

CGLa community based street outreach service for those facing homelessness and sex workers. They can do home visits, satellite support in hostels and aim to re-engage people back into treatment.

Beyond this support, our drug and alcohol recovery pathways can refer you to programmes such as WDP, RDP and B3. These are recovery programmes that offer drop in services and recovery support services to aid your addiction recovery and work with you to avoid relapse. At the end of the programmes you will receive a certificate and the services will be able to support you moving forward.

Other Related Support

If you would like some further advice and assistance regarding substance misuse, you can talk to your GP about possible referrals they can make to aid your recovery. For information on the services available visit the Central and North West London NHS Foundation Trust website.

  • Brent Outreach and Engagement Team (BOET) - provides residents with advice and support around substance misuse issues and can facilitate access into a wide range of treatment options. They run a number of groups and workshops from their base in Harlesden, but also have satellites at various locations across the borough. For more information, visit the BOET website.
  • Ashford Place - a community resource centre. Their main areas of support are Housing (for those with a connection to Brent only), Training, Employment & Enterprise, Substance Misuse Services, and Community Engagement. They also offer support with resettlement, supported housing, tenancy sustainment, work skills, vocational training and welfare benefits advice. Visit the Ashford Place website
  • Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) - Helpline for people with drink problems, staffed by recovering alcoholics. Open 365 days a year. They can give details of local AA groups and contact with local member.
  • Narcotics Anonymous (NA) - a fellowship of men and women for whom drugs had become a major problem. They are all recovering addicts who meet regularly to help each other stay clean.
  • Talk to Frank - Offers free confidential drugs information and advice 24 hours a day
  • Drinkline - Advice and information for people with alcohol problems or anyone concerned about alcohol misuse. Provides advice on sensible drinking and information on services to help you to cut down on drinking. Helpline: 030 0123 1110
  • Adfam National - a national charity working with families affected by drugs and alcohol and is a leading agency in substance related family work including database of local support groups that helps families hear about and talk to people who understand their situation. Visit the Adfam website
  • Alateen - offers telephone support to young people aged 12 to 20 affected by someone else's drinking, usually that of a parent. Part of Al-Anon Family Group. 
  • London Friend- Antidote- LGBT - Antidote is the UK’s only LGBT targeted drug and alcohol support service. They work with both drug and alcohol users and healthcare professionals. They offer non-judgmental free advice and support delivered by highly trained staff and volunteers – all of whom identify as LGB or T, and have a good understanding of the pressures and problems that come with recreational drug or alcohol use. Visit the London Friend website