Homeless - Young people (18 - 25)

If you are a young person aged between 18 to 25 and you are currently homeless or facing the threat of homelessness then you may be eligible for housing assistance.

Apply for Housing Assistance

Will the council provide me with accommodation?

We can provide advice and support to you to help you find alternative accommodation. However we will not have a duty to provide emergency accommodation or temporarily house you unless you are considered to be eligible, homeless and have priority need.

For more information on the homelessness criteria please visit www.shelter.org.uk or call Shelter on 080 8800 4444. In addition, you can discuss this with us when making a homelessness application.

If you are a single person with support needs, the Single Housing Pathway can discuss with you a referral for floating support or supported housing.

If you are under 18, we have a legal duty to support you. This will be through children's social services and you could be supported through family mediation if you are at home or you could be accommodated in children’s homes, foster care or hostels.

Housing support

  • Stonewall Housing - the specialist lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) housing advice and support provider in England. We provide housing support for LGBT people in their own homes, supported housing for young LGBT people, as well as free, confidential housing advice for LGBT people of all ages. Visit the Stonewall Housing website
  • Centrepoint - a charity supporting homeless people aged 16-25. If you're rough sleeping, sofa surfing or don't feel safe in your home, the Centrepoint Helpline is there to support you. You can also get in touch if you're worried about a young person. Visit the Centrepoint website
  • The Mix - the UK’s leading support service for young people under the age of 25. They tackle issues from money to mental health, homelessness to finding a job, from break ups to drugs. Visit The Mix website 
  • New Horizon Youth centre - helps young people aged 16-21 who are homeless or at risk of homelessness and can help with finding a place to stay, sorting out benefits or debts, getting into employment/training, and much more. They also offer counselling, a nurse, breakfast and lunch, laundry and showers. Visit the New Horizon Youth centre website 
  • Depaul: Alone in London - helps 16-25 year olds who are at risk of homelessness by providing advice about getting accommodation and benefits, family mediation, counselling, school mediation and training and employment. They have access to showers and laundry. Visit the Depaul website

Employment support

  • Brent Startan adult education college offering training to anyone who wants to learn new skills, get into employment, find a better job or improve their prospects in life. For some of their training courses there are concessions available to those on a low income.
  • Brent Works - providing job and apprenticeship opportunities for local people, across a range of sectors, including construction. 
  • Prince’s Trustworks with disadvantaged young people aged 11-30. They provide training, personal development opportunities and grants to help young people to get into work, education, self-employment or training.

Other support

  • Support for LGBT: Galop - works with young people 25 years old or younger who live in London. If you are homeless, or at risk of homelessness, and identify as LGBT this service is designed for you. They consider a person to be homeless if they are in unsafe or unstable accommodation, including sleeping on the streets, couch surfing, or living in an abusive household.
  • Muslim Youth Helpline (MYH)a free and confidential counselling service available nationally via the telephone, email, internet and a face to face befriending service in the Greater London area. It is a service which is faith and culturally sensitive.
  • Relate offers relationship counselling and mediation from various locations around London. They charge £65 for an initial Counselling consultation. After this, the cost of ongoing sessions is agreed between you and your Counsellor according to your income.