Other parking permits

Essential User Permit

The essential user scheme (ESU) enables individual employees, who work for certain public sector and charitable organisations that perform a statutory service on behalf of the council, to park a vehicle in a controlled parking zone, as part of carrying out official duties.  This includes the provision of residential or community care, health care, social housing management and highway maintenance works.

The permit is only valid whilst the permit holder is carrying out official duties i.e. at a client’s house.  It is not valid for parking to work at a permit holder’s own workplace.  The permit may also not be used for official duties within 500 metres of the permit holder’s workplace.

Permits can be used in resident parking bays or shared use bays.  

Permits are available for 12 months.

Please note that permit reminders prior to expiry and temporary permits are not issued.  It is the responsibility of the applicant to apply in time before their existing permit expires.

Apply by email or post

To apply for an essential users permit please complete the essential users permit application form

Email the form to parking.permits@brent.gov.uk or post it to Unit 20-22, Whitby Avenue, Park Royal, London NW10 7SF.

ESU permits will be processed and posted to the work address specified on the application form. Please allow 10 working days for permits to be processed following receipt of the application.

Please note

  • All applications for Council employees; Council contractors; and service providers commissioned by the Council; will need to be approved at Head of Service level or above. This also applies to Brent Housing Partnership staff and its contractors.
  • Permit reminders prior to expiry are not issued, and that it is the responsibility of the applicant to apply in time before their existing permit expires.
  • Temporary permits are no longer issued, and that applicants will need to find suitable alternative parking if they are unable to display a valid ESU permit.
  • The Council now makes a distinction between Essential User Permits issues to NHS, Care and Charity Organisations. Please ensure the correct Essential Service User Permit is applied for as this will affect the price of the permit.
Related documents
Pdf 191.5KB
Updated: Feb 08, 2019, 09:11 AM