Coronavirus update: For the latest updates on Coronavirus (COVID-19), visit the NHS website or view Brent-specific information.

Do you need to make a planning application?

Need help with this process?

Get advice by contacting our planners.

If you are thinking of making an application and have checked the guidance on our website, you may wish to use our pre-application advice service.

We are responsible for deciding whether a proposed development should be allowed to go ahead. This is called planning permission.

Most new buildings, major alterations to existing buildings and significant changes to the use of a building or piece of land need this permission.

However, certain minor building works, known as permitted development, don't need planning permission.

This is because the effect of such developments on neighbours or the surrounding environment is likely to be small such as building a boundary wall below a certain height.

Similarly, a change of land or building use is classed as permitted development if it's within the same use class.

Other areas get special protection against certain developments, including conservation areas and listed buildings.