When do you need listed building consent or planning permission for works in a conservation area?

You will need to apply for planning permission if you wish to demolish a building, or part of a building within a conservation area.

However, small unlisted buildings with a volume of less than 115 cubic metres and some gates, fences, walls or railings may be demolished without planning permission if there is no Article 4 Direction in place.  See if your property has an Article 4 Direction in place.

You will need to apply for listed building consent during your Planning Portal online application if you wish to alter or extend a listed building in a manner that would affect its significance as a building of special architectural or historic interest or to demolish a listed building.

You may also need listed building consent for any works to separate buildings within the grounds of listed building.

You do not need listed building consent for the erection of new buildings in the curtilage (the land immediately surrounding) a listed building. These will usually require planning permission though.

Please check the position carefully with us. It is a criminal offence to carry out work that needs listed building or conservation area consent without getting it.

We will be able to confirm to you whether a building is listed or is in a conservation area if you are not sure.

For specialist advice on listed building or conservation area matters please contact us.

Need help with this process?

Get advice by contacting our planners.

If you are thinking of making an application and have checked the guidance on our website, you may wish to use our pre-application advice service.