Will I have to pay the Community Infrastructure Levy?

The Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) is a levy which we and the Mayor of London can charge on developments to fund infrastructure that is needed to support development.

Development (including that which does not require planning permission) involving the creation of new dwellings (including changes of use) or involving new build (including extensions) may have to pay the CIL.

There is an exemption for minor development, which is less than 100sqm, so if you are a homeowner and want to extend your home then it is likely that your extension will be less than 100sqm and you will not have to pay the CIL.

Need help with this process?

Get advice by contacting our planners.

If you are thinking of making an application and have checked the guidance on our website, you may wish to use our pre-application advice service.