Make a Building Control application

We have a legal duty to ensure any building work in Brent is carried out in line with regulations. We do this by approving plans and inspecting building work on site.

You need approval under the building regulations if you are going to:

  • build a new building, extend, alter or change the use of an existing building
  • install fittings like toilets, sinks, showers, washing machines or drains
  • carry out structural alterations, including removing walls or chimney breasts
  • recovering a roof, replacing windows or doors or underpinning a building's foundations
  • carry out any work affecting Part L - conservation of fuel and power (including re-plastering walls or laying new floors)
  • install or replace services such as electrical work (see Approved Document P).
  • carry out any other work which is controlled under the building regulations

Building regulations set out minimum standards for the health and safety of people who live, work in or visit buildings.

The regulations also look at conserving energy and making sure that people, particularly those with disabilities, can access and use buildings.

More useful information can be found from the links on the right of the page.

If you are having construction or refurbishment work done, you may need to notify the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and you may have other duties as well. Find out more.