General waste bin

If you require a new or replacement general waste bin, a charge of £50.00 applies and is subject to approval by an officer. If approved,  we will provide you with a smaller bin than may have been at your property previously. The bin will be of 140L capacity. This is because most household waste can be recycled.

We will not empty your general waste bin if it contains any garden waste. If you have garden waste you can sign up for service now.

Please do not place DIY material or rubble into your general waste bin as your bin will not be collected. These materials should be taken to the Reuse and Recycling Centre at Abbey Road NW10. Note that a charge will apply for its disposal. 

Make sure to only use the general waste bin (usually grey) for waste that cannot be recycled or composted.

Materials that can be placed into your general waste bin include:

Plastic film and wrapping

  • Plastics bags or plastic wrapping
  • Crisp packets
  • Cling film or cellophane
  • Bubble wrap
  • Metallic gift wrap


  • Plastic toys
  • Plastic plates and plastic cutlery
  • Plastic plant pots
  • Tupperware containers
  • Polystyrene packing material
  • Coat hangers

Glass and ceramics

  • All broken glass (of any kind)
  • Window glass
  • Drinking glasses
  • Ceramic plant pots


  • Hoover bags and dust
  • Pet litter
  • Wooden picture frames, wooden coat hangers

If you have large items such as chests of drawers, chairs, mattresses or electrical items to dispose of, you can book a free special collection.

Excess waste and contamination

Contamination tag small image

We do not collect excess waste which is left outside of the general waste bin.

We will put a sticker to tell you why we have not collected this waste. You can ensure that this waste is collected by putting it in the landfill waste bin before the next collection takes place.

We will also not empty general waste bins which are too full and the lid can't be shut. 

Japanese knotweed

You must not put Japanese knotweed in with your garden waste or general waste. The government has guidance on treating and disposing of invasive plants.

If you have Japanese knotweed or other invasive plants on your land you should contact a specialist contractor to remove and dispose of it properly. Find out more about Japanese knotweed.