Chargeable Special Collection Service Terms and Conditions
This agreement is made between the customer (you) and Brent Council (us) and sets out the terms and conditions of use of the chargeable special collection service for large items of household waste.
Payment and booking
- 1. The Special Collection service costs £35 per collection for up to five items. You can now arrange as many collections as you like in one year (1 April to 31 March).
- 2. You can also make numerous bookings for the same day to allow for collection of more than five items, up to a maximum of 15 items
- 3. To do this you will need to go back to the first screen and enter five separate items. You will need to re-enter your address details for any subsequent bookings.
- 4. You can either pay online, by visiting www.brent.gov.uk/specialcollections or by phoning 020 8937 5050. You will need a valid credit or debit card to make your payment. Once confirmed any changes to a booking can only be made by calling us.
- 5. Payment taken will show on bank statements as being made to Veolia, who are managing the special collection service on behalf of Brent Council.
- 6. You have 14 days after you sign up to cancel the service. You still need to provide three days’ notice of the need to cancel a collection even if this falls within your 14 days cancellation period.
- 7. After the initial 14 day cancellation period, the council will not refund the cost of a special collection service, even if you no longer require the service.
- 8. Where we have a valid e-mail address we will send you confirmation of the dates that you have selected for your collection.
- 9. You will be asked to accept these terms and conditions prior to payment for your collection. Acceptance means that you agree to the content of these terms and conditions. You are therefore advised to read them prior to making your booking.
Presentation and collection of items
- 10. Items must be presented at the front of your property; as near to the boundary of your property and the public highway as possible.
- 11. The items must be kept on your property if you live in a house, maisonette or property converted into flats.
- 12. Leaving unwanted items on the public highway is against the law and is classed as fly tipping. Anyone found fly tipping may be liable for a maximum fine of £75,000 or five years in prison.
- 13. If you live in a block of flats, your items must be presented in a communal area, which is accessible to the collection crews. We cannot be held responsible for a non-collection of the items if our crews cannot get access to the area for collection, if they do not access the area on normal bin collection day.
- 14. If you live in a property on the North Circular Road, our crews cannot stop to collect your items. We therefore ask that you leave your items on the side road at the nearest junction (rather than in your front garden).
- 15. All items booked as one collection must be presented together for collection. Our crews will not search a location to find items if they are not all presented together.
- 16. However, if items are presented in a manner which does not allow each item to be clearly identified or moved easily, our crew reserve the right to not collect the items and you will be asked to rebook your collection. You will not be refunded for your collection and will need to make a further payment of £35.
- 17. Incorrect presentation includes not bundling items like a dismantled table, wardrobe or carpet tiles together.
- 18. If you have booked separate collections on the same day for up to 15 items, please group the items together as you listed them in each booking. This will assist our crews to see that they are only collecting the items listed.
- 19. It is your responsibility to ensure that your items are presented correctly.
- 20. We cannot enter your property to collect items. You will need to make your own arrangements to get all items for collection to the front of your property (or other designated collection point depending on your property type).
- 21. Similarly, if you live in a flat above a shop, please leave your items out before 7am on the day of collection, so that our crews can pick them up before they cause a problem for shopkeepers and people using the public highway.
- 22. Our crews will only collect items that have been requested at the point of booking.
- 23. Additional items that are placed next to items that were specifically booked will not be collected and will be left.
- 24. Additional items placed out on collection day cannot be reported as a missed collection.
- Missed collections and non-collection of items
- 25. If we do not collect your special collection items, you have five working days to report a missed collection to us, either using an on-line form available at www.brent.gov.uk/recycling or by calling 020 8937 5050.
- 26. We will not return to collect a missed collection if you do not report it to us within five working days of your normal collection day.
- 27. If you have to report a missed collection; we will not provide you with a refund for that collection as long as we collect your items on the following attempt.
- 28. If we can only collect some of the items that you have presented for collection; for a particular reason, a leaflet will be posted through your door advising you of the materials that we could not find or could not collect. Please contact us to discuss what you need to do to dispose of those items.
- 29. We can only collect items which weigh up to 40Kgs and can be safely carried by two crew operatives. We reserve the right to not collect any items which are heavier then this when we arrive at your property. You will not be refunded for the collection if this occurs and you will have to make alternative arrangements for the disposal of the item/s.
- 30. If we cannot collect your items due to adverse weather conditions, no access to your road or property due to roadworks or traffic problems, we will make a further attempt to collect those items from your property within 48 hours. You will be able to check the reason for non-collection of the booking by contacting us online or calling us on 020 8937 5050.
- 31. If there is no access to your property because of an issue caused by yourself, such as a vehicle in your driveway, we will not return to collect the items and you will not be refunded for the missed collection. You will need to book another collection for the items and ensure that our crews can gain access to the location of the items.
- 32. We cannot be held responsible for items which are taken by a third party. You will not be refunded if your items are taken by someone other than then Council.
Cancellation or changing the date of your collection
- 33. The chargeable special collection service will allow you to select your own date for the collection of your items. If you need to change the date of your collection; you will need to contact us online or call us on 020 8937 5050.
- 34. We need at least three working days to make changes to the collection date.
- 35. If you are in receipt of certain benefits, you are entitled to one free collection of up to five items per year.
- 36. All further collections in the financial year (1 April to 31 March) will be charged at the standard rate of £35.
- 37. This is based on the property and not the occupants. Allowance is provided for one free collection per property, per year (1 April to 31 March).
- 38. The benefits which entitle you to a discount are: Council Tax Support, Housing Benefit, Income Related Job Seekers Allowance, Pension Credit (guaranteed rate) and Income Support.
- 39. The Council holds data on whether you are in receipt of Council Tax Support or Housing Benefit and we can automatically check that your discount applies if you are in receipt of either of these benefits.
- 40. You may be required to provide us with proof of other benefits. If suitable proof cannot be provided, it remains the discretion of the Council as to whether to apply the discount.
- 41. Generally, proof will be required in the form of a letter from the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP), confirming that you are in receipt of the eligible benefit/s.
- 42. You will be able to either scan in a copy of your letter from the Department of Work and Pensions online, or send a photocopy to the address we provide you with when the information is required.