Commercial waste and recycling

Under the Planning (Hazardous Substances) Act 1990 and associated Regulations you must apply for permission if you wish to store or use defined quantities of hazardous substances, such as natural gas or petrol. This is so that we can assess risk of fire, explosion etc to people in the surrounding area.

Hazardous wastes include: asbestos, solvents and solvent-based paints, oils and oil filters,
petrol and diesel, fluorescent tubes, batteries, electronic equipment.

If you produce hazardous waste on your premises you must notify the Environment Agency. It is illegal to mix hazardous and non-hazardous wastes, and to mix different types of hazardous waste.

  • If you need further advice about any waste which you think may be hazardous please contact our Enforcement Team on 020 8937 5050

Asbestos - read about asbestos and advice about its removal.

More information

  • The Environment Agency has detailed information about hazardous business waste, including registering, moving or receiving hazardous waste and keeping records
  • Envirogreen special waste services - specialises in getting rid of hazardous waste across the UK. It will dispose of pesticides, laboratory chemicals, industrial chemicals, spillage waste, oil, batteries, florescent tubes and all related contaminated materials in an environmentally friendly way

Contact us on 020 8937 5050 for advice and support.