Commercial waste and recycling
If you place waste out in anything other than the bags/tape or bins provide by your waste collector this will be considered illegal rubbish dumping (flytipping) and you could be liable for a £400 fixed penalty notice or prosecution in the magistrates courts.
We can issues fines known as Fixed Penalty Notices for a range of environmental offences including littering and failure to lawfully get rid of trade waste. Failure to pay Fixed Penalty Fines can result in prosecution.
- investigate business waste dumped on the public highway and give advice to traders about their legal responsibilities for the disposal of their waste
- use a clear, reasonable and fair enforcement policy which favours education and working with traders and businesses.
We are developing a leadership role around educating businesses in respect of their Duty of Care responsibilities, to reduce fly-tipping. Our work includes:
- explaining to businesses why enforcement action is needed, taking account of the needs of the local community
- enforcing the relevant legislation in respect of trade waste disposal by local businesses, in conformity with the Government Good Enforcement Concordat
- supplying a list of waste disposal firms who operate in the area together with details of civic amenity sites who accept trade waste
- making regular checks on businesses to ensure that they are storing and disposing of their waste regularly and correctly.
Things to read
Things to do
www.rightwasterightplace.com offers easy and clear information to businesses on what you need to do with your waste when you set up your business.