How to cast your vote

Apply to vote by post

If you’re registered to vote, you can choose to vote by post.

Apply for a postal vote

Return the postal application form by email to or by post to Brent Civic Centre.

What you need to know

Read the information below to find out about:

  • How to apply for a postal vote
  • Returning your ballot papers to us
  • Replacing lost or spoiled ballot papers
  • Cancelling your postal vote

How to apply for a postal vote

You can apply for a postal vote:

  • for a single election on a specific date
  • for a specific period
  • permanently.

You can apply to vote by post any time but if you want to vote by post in the upcoming elections on 6 May, we must receive your application by 5pm on Tuesday 20 April 2021.

Returning your ballot to us

For security reasons, all applications for a postal vote must include your signature and date of birth. If you don't provide these details, your application will not be accepted.

You will be asked to provide your signature and date of birth again on your ballot paper. This is so we can check it’s you that’s voted and no one else.

We may grant a waiver from providing a signature if you’re unable to:

  • sign in a consistent or distinctive way because of any disability
  • read or write.

However, you will still be required to give your date of birth.

Replacing lost or spoiled ballot papers

If you spoil or lose your ballot paper, you can get a replacement up to 5pm on the day of an election but we will require ID to issue this.

If you feel you have spoiled your ballot paper, please contact the electoral services team to discuss.

Cancelling your postal vote

If you want to cancel your postal vote we need a signed request in writing to authorise us to do this. Please complete the Absent Vote Cancellation Request Form. Return by email to or;
Post to Electoral Services, Brent Civic Centre, Engineers Way, Wembley HA9 0FJ.

Back to the top