We are celebrating 10 years of Big Dance in Brent with Brent Dance Month 2016. This year events will be bigger and bolder than ever.
Take a look at our Brent Dance Month Diary of July events:
- 1 July Brent Dance Blast at the Grand Hall, Civic Centre 6-9pm-its free, apply now!
One of London’s biggest Youth Dance Showcases celebrating Brent’s talented young dancers.
- 9 July FUNDMC at the Grand Hall, Civic Centre - 1pm-4pm £5 adults, £2 children (babies free)
- A Daytime Dance Party with DJs playing old skool and popular music bringing family fun for all ages.
- 16 July 2016 - Brent to Brazil at The Library, Willesden Green - 12pm-4pm. Free!
- A summer fiesta to link our Olympic legacy to the Rio Olympics by celebrating together with our Brazilian communities in Brent.
- Baby Disco every Thursday in July 11am-12pm at The Library, Willesden Green - £3 per child (£2.50 per additional child) A weekly tiny tots disco for little ones who like to boogie.
- #1trackdanceevent (throughout July) A freestyle dance pledge open to all schools in Brent (see tab).
Brent Dance Blast 2016
Brent Dance Blast
One of London's biggest Youth Dance showcases
We welcome back our annual celebration of youth dance talent in the borough, giving young people with a talent for dance an opportunity to showcase what they can do through our exciting Brent-wide dance competition which takes place on Friday 1 July in Brent Civic Centre's Grand Hall.
Dance Groups and individuals aged 10 years to 25 years can apply to take part in Brent Dance Blast 2016. Dance industry professionals from stage and screen will make up our panel of judges.
We are asking applicants to perform a short choreographed dance piece of no more than three minutes to take part.
We have a limited number of performance slots for the day so to be in with a chance to showcase your talent download the registration form.
Download the application form now!
For more information email email@example.com.
1 Track Dance
Celebrate 10 years of Brent Dance Month by joining in with our #1trackdanceevent.
During Brent Dance Month 2015 the #1trackdanceevent involved 1,195 Children across Brent.
This year Brent primary and secondary schools have another opportunity to pledge to get moving and celebrate Brent Dance Month by holding an annual 1 track dance event.
It’s so easy all you have to do is choose a date and time in July, and play one song in a classroom or in assembly to engage young people in freestyle dance.
All participating schools will receive a special Brent Dance Month 10th anniversary award and will feature on our website and arts newsletter. The aim is to promote healthy and active lives and to widen participation in dance and sports activities.
How to get involved
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org entitled “1trackdanceevent” stating:
- name of your place of business
- date and time of your dance
- number of students taking part
- name of track you’ll be dancing to.
Be a healthy and happy school. Sign up now!
Brent Council is celebrating 10 years of the Big Dance in Brent and require a team of enthusiastic volunteers to help us deliver the following events to ensure it runs as smoothly as possible:
Brent Dance Blast at the Grand Hall, Brent Civic Centre
Friday 1 July, 6pm to 9pm
One of London’s biggest youth dance showcases, giving dance groups and individuals aged 10 to 25 an opportunity to showcase their skills. Dance industry professionals from stage and screen will make up our panel of judges along with exclusive performances by Girls on Point and Viramundo Brazilian Samba Dancers.
FUN DMC at the Grand Hall, Brent Civic Centre
Saturday 9 July, 1pm to 4pm
A real block party experience for both parents and children with 3 hours of child friendly Hip-Hop, Funk, Disco and block party anthems.
We are looking for people to:
- greet and liaise with performers
- welcome members of the public and keep them informed
- provide visitor and building information
- assist with event evaluation and collection of data.
Volunteers will be expected to be:
- comfortable speaking to members of the general public
- able to maintain good humour throughout the day
- have good time management
- work as part of a team
- able to think on your feet
- ability to work in a fast paced environment.
What we will provide in return:
- up to £10 out of pocket travel expenses (on production of valid receipt)
- a chance to gain experience in delivering dance related events
- opportunities to meet like-minded people
- opportunities to gain new skills
- experience working in events.
Volunteers will need to be over 18 years old and available on the following dates:
- Wednesday 29 June, 5pm to 7pm (volunteer briefing and Brent Civic Centre induction)
- Friday 1 July, 6pm to 9pm
- Saturday 9 July, 1pm to 4pm
Whether you’re looking for experience to boost your CV or have some free time and want to get involved, we would love to hear from you.
If you want to take part email us at email@example.com with ‘VOLUNTEER’ in the subject line telling us why you would like to take part outlining any relevant experience or interests that you have. No more than 400 words please.
The deadline is 12noon on Friday 24 June 2016.
Highlights of 2015
Brent Dance Month 2015 was a total success
We engaged over 1000 local school children in our ‘1trackdanceevent’ initiative which inspired and motivated kids to get dancing in classrooms, assemblies and in some cases entire schools.
An audience of 300 attended the public launch which feature professional artists showcasing different styles of dance from Charleston to Ballet and Afro fusion to Tap. Some children had never have seen or experienced live professional Dance.
Over 90 Brent families accessed the under 5s activities and 600+ local people in Brent got active and healthy in Brent Dance Month classes taking place throughout the borough.
Nearly 200 young people from Brent Schools and Youth Clubs participated in our youth dance competition Dance Blast to an audience of 400 people!
The 1st place winners performed at Wembley Arena as part of the Street Dance XXL event. 2nd Place winners visited behind the scenes at English National Ballet and 3rd Place winners performed as part of the Opening Celebrations of the New Library at Willesden Green.