Coronavirus update: For the latest updates on Coronavirus (COVID-19), visit the NHS website or view Brent-specific information.

Benefits and Council Tax

Discretionary Housing Payment

If you need support to pay the shortfall between receipt of your Housing Benefit, or the Housing Cost element of Universal Credit, and your full rent charge:


To discuss any housing benefit over payments, due to your circumstances changing, call:

  • The housing benefits overpayments team, on 020 8937 2589

Local Welfare Assistance

If you need support during a one off emergency, and are entitled to Housing Benefit or certain DWP benefits:

Council Tax support

If you are on a low income, or your circumstances have changed, and need help to pay your Council Tax:

There have been some other financial support measures announced, such as an additional payment of up to £150 for Working Age Council Tax Support recipients. More information will be provided once confirmed.