worried about gangs and knife crime?
County Lines are transport routes used by city-based gangs to deliver drugs to suburban areas. The drugs and money are often carried and sold by children, young people and vulnerable adults, who generally live in poverty, controlled emotionally and physically by gang elders, during the trips.
County Lines are linked intrinsically with exploitation, including child sexual exploitation. It is estimated that there are currently 1500 county lines in the UK, with an estimated 500 of these linked to London.
- Fearless - non-judgemental information and advice about crime and criminality.
- Children's Society - find information about child exploitation associated with County Lines activity
Brent commissions St Giles Trust to provide support to young people in Brent affected by county lines activity. Their work includes one to one support for young people, help in managing risk and safeguarding, and family support.
Child Sexual Exploitation
Child sexual exploitation (CSE) is a type of abuse in which children are sexually exploited for money, power or status. Children or young people may be tricked into believing they're in a loving, consensual relationship. They might be given money, drugs or alcohol in exchange for participating in sexual activities. They may also be groomed online.
If you’re worried that you, or a young person you know, may be experiencing CSE, contact the Brent Family Front Door on 020 8937 4300, or, if you are calling out of hours, call our emergency duty team on 020 8863 5250.
- For parents and carers (.pdf) - government information to help parents identify and respond if their children are affected by gangs.
- For schools and colleges (.pdf) - home office advice for schools regarding preventing youth violence and gang involvement.
- Advice from NSPCC- on gangs and young people.
- www.droptheweapons.org - Met Police site advice against carrying weapons and the laws surrounding it
- Home Office county lines guidance - Recognising criminal exploitation of children and vulnerable adults in a geographically area. County lines is the police term for urban gangs supplying drugs to suburban areas and market and coastal towns using dedicated mobile phone lines or “deal lines”.