Nationality checking service
Applying for British Citizenship is a major step in your life so you want to get it right first time and the Nationality Checking Service in Brent can help you.
Why use our Nationality Checking Service?
We were the first Local Authority to carry out the Nationality Checking Service and have over 10 years' experience in helping you.
The Citizenship Advisors at Brent are registered with the Office of the Immigration Service Commissioner, an independent body established by Parliament, which regulates organisations offering the Nationality Checking Service.
Using our service means you will be able to keep your passport and other valuable documents rather than sending them to the Home Office.
This is because we will photocopy and certify your documents and will forward applications to the Home Office by special delivery post.
This means your application is dealt with quickly.
Book an appointment
Contact the Registration and Nationality Service by phone on 020 8937 1010 to book an appointment.
What should I bring to my appointment?
When you book an appointment we will ask you for more information and documents you must bring with you.
You must make your application in person.
If you are married or in a civil partnership and want to make a joint application, then both of you must visit in person.
If you have children under 18 years old, they do not have to be present.
You must bring the with you the completed citizen application form and all the necessary documents as explained in the application form guideline notes.
You should also bring the payment for the Home Office fee. This can be paid by cheque or debit/credit card.
Once your citizenship is granted by the UK Border Agency you will be able to attend a citizenship ceremony.
How much does it cost to use our Nationality Checking Service?
- Adult application £60 (Weekdays) £75 (Weekends)
- Child's application £40 (Weekdays) £50 (Weekends)
Please note that all Nationality Checking Service fees are payable in advance and are non-refundable.
Changes to British Citizenship applications
Please see full details of the latest changes in the nationality policy around the breaches of immigration rules.
Passport checking service
Customers who use our Nationality Checking Service are now also able to apply for their UK passport at the same time as their citizenship application ONLY if you have completed the online Form AN or Form MN1 forms. Please visit our Nationality Document Return Service (NDRS) page. This new easier and efficient service has been developed in partnership with the Home Office. If your citizenship application is successful, and a ceremony is attended, your new passport will be dispatched to your home.
This new service costs an additional £10. Please call us on 020 8937 1010 to book your appointment.
There are a few differences that you need to know:
- The photographs for the nationality and passport must be identical and comply with photo standards – (1 photo for nationality and 2 for passport application).
- Section 1: For the passport, an adult is from 15 years and six months and they must therefore attend the checking appointment. It is still a minor form for nationality if under 18.
- Section 2: Please do not place your mobile number in section two of the passport form, we request this is placed in section 8. This is so you do not have two biometric appointments.
- Section 4: Grandparents section is not required.
- Section 10: Please leave the counter signature blank as their details is taken from the nationality application form.
Passport Application Fees:
- Standard adult passport (32 pages) - £72.50
- Jumbo adult passport (48 pages) - £85.50
- Child passport – £46