Local businesses and community groups (End users)
We are welcoming businesses, organisations and community groups local to Brent to apply for the Meanwhile Pilot Scheme.
The pilot will re-energise high streets in Brent and we would love for your enterprise to play a role in its development.
Through the scheme we will test new workspace uses on high streets and develop pathways to sustainable uses into the medium and long term.
The Meanwhile Pilot Scheme will support local businesses and community groups in need of a premises, but are unable to take on a full lease, or who can struggle to pay rents on town centre premises. The pilot scheme will provide a stepping stone to develop your business model, grow and look to take on a more permanent commercial lettings in the future.
The Meanwhile Pilot Scheme offers selected users:
- A newly refurbished high street unit, ready-to-use and adjustable to individual needs. Branding will reflect the identity of the project. Furniture is not included
- Rent free use of a high street premises for 12 months
- Tenants will have to pay ongoing costs such as utilities, internet and business rates
- Free business support to guide participating users to develop their business model
- Use class of the units are to be confirmed.
How to apply
The application process is due to open in April 2021. A full list of eligibility criteria and conditions of use will be published at that time.
Below we outline the application process in steps for you. The scheme is designed to be mutually beneficial to Meanwhile Space CIC as operators of the space, and to you as occupiers. Both parties will get the chance to meet, to talk through your project to explore how best it could fit within the space.
Step 1 – Spaces defined and promoted. Applications invited from potential end users. (April 2021)
Step 3 – Proposals shortlisted
Step 4 – Interview with Meanwhile Space CIC and Brent Council
Step 5 – Visit the spaces
Step 6 – Offers made to tenants
Step 7 – Agreements drawn up with Meanwhile Space CIC
Step 8 – Move in! (August 2021)
A full list of criteria is due to be published in April 2021, the draft criteria below will give you an indication of how your proposals might be reviewed.
- Connection to Brent
- Need – In what ways will your business benefit from renting the space?
- Use idea – What is your proposed use and how does this fit in within the other uses on the street and the local audience
- Business Plan – Demonstration of how your proposal is financially sustainable and previous experience to deliver the proposal
- Local - Demonstrable contributions to the local area
- Project commitments