Tenants and Households in Temporary Accommodation

Some secure council tenants will have to move home as part of the South Kilburn Regeneration Programme, as we demolish and redevelop blocks to deliver high quality new homes.

The South Kilburn Rehousing Team will contact you 12-18 months prior to the block you live in being redeveloped.

We will support and advise you throughout the process. Before we start demolition work on your block you will receive an offer of a new home.

Households in Temporary Accommodation

On 17 June 2019 the Council’s Cabinet agreed changes to its Housing Allocations Policy.

They included recognising that households living in temporary accommodation, on an estate being regenerated, are a part of the community. Therefore, they should have the same access to a new permanent home built on the estate as existing council tenants.

If you are affected by this change, and are now entitled to a new permanent home as part of the South Kilburn regeneration, you will have received a letter to confirm this.

Type of properties

Living roomAt present the South Kilburn estate suffers from an over-concentration of smaller flats.

The South Kilburn regeneration programme will provide a more sustainable mix of housing types, which will meet the needs of residents in the short, medium and long term.

This will encourage a wider mix of household types within the area and provide opportunities for residents to remain in South Kilburn if their situation changes.

Your rehousing options

In most cases the home that you will be offered will be one of the new homes that have been built as part of the regeneration works.

However as we are changing the housing mix, we may not always have new homes available to match everyone's needs. Some tenants may therefore need to:

  • move permanently into an existing property either on or off the estate, or
  • move temporarily followed by a second permanent move at a later date

If you wish to move off the estate the South Kilburn Rehousing Team will try to relocate you to your area of choice but this will depend on the availability of homes. If you wish to move off the estate you can bid for properties via Locata.

When the South Kilburn Rehousing Team first visit you, a Resident Needs Survey will be carried out. You will be issued with the latest information explaining the process of moving home and the options available.

Car parking

In order to build high quality new homes the level of car parking across the neighbourhood will be reduced.

Access to a designated car parking space or on street parking cannot be guaranteed for residents unless they have a Disabled Persons Badge.

Development phases