Young people and complaints

Guide to complaints for young people to useWhat to do if you have a complaint

You may feel unhappy about the care service you have received. If there is something on your mind, it’s important you can raise the issue.

You can do that on your own, or ask for extra support if you find it difficult to say what you feel. As a young person you have a right to be listened to and for your views to be taken seriously.

How to make a complaint

You can now submit and manage any complaints you make in My Account. It's quicker, you can monitor the progress of your complaints and view a history of previous cases.

Sign in to My account and submit a complaint

If you do not want to track the progress of your complaint or wish to remain anonymous:

Continue without signing in


If you would like extra support you can ask for an advocate to help support your complaint. There are may independent charities, organisations and representatives you can contact about advocacy. An advocate will listen to you confidentially and support you to express your views. 

Brent Children Rights Officer

The Children Rights Officer is an independent and trained advocate working alongside other professionals. The Children Rights Officer ensures children and young people are listened to, and at the centre of the decision making. You are entitled to your rights, and our advocate will help you to understand these.

The officer will help you to:

  • Have your voice heard
  • Contribute to decision making
  • Understand your rights
  • Challenge professionals or make a complaint
  • Be kept safe

They could also support you with:

  • Attending meetings
  • helping you write down what is wrong and what you would like to change
  • Making decisions
  • Making a complaint

Who can have an advocate

Advocates are for children and young people who are:

  • Children in Need
  • Children subject to Child Protection Plan
  • Children Looked after
  • Care leaver

Who can be your advocate

An advocate could be some you already know and trust. That person could be a:

  • teacher, youth worker, personal adviser, your social worker or key worker
  • friend, someone in your family, or an adult that you trust to help

However, if you don’t know anybody and you need help to talk about what is wrong or to make a complaint, our complaints team can arrange for the Children Rights Officer to help you with this and ensure you are listened to and not treated unfairly because you have made a complaint.

How can I contact the Children Rights Officer?

You can contact the Children Rights Officer by phone, email or WhatsApp. You can discuss as much or as little as you would like on the phone, and you can arrange for the officer to meet you at school, at home or in a place of your choice.

Phone: 02089373713
WhatsApp (Scarlett)07876138484

Other places for support

Coram Voice

National Youth Advocacy Service