Young people and complaints

Guide to complaints for young people to useWhat to do if you have a complaint

You may feel unhappy about the care service you have received. If there is something on your mind, it’s important you can raise the issue.

You can do that on your own, or ask for extra support if you find it difficult to say what you feel. As a young person you have a right to be listened to and for your views to be taken seriously.

Fill out a complaint form



If you would like extra support you can ask for an advocate to help support your complaint. An advocate will listen to you confidentially and support you to express your views.

They will help you to:

  • understand your rights
  • attend meetings
  • get the service you need
  • make informed decisions.

Who can have an advocate

Advocates are for young people aged from 13 to 19 (and in some cases up to 24) who receive social care support.

That’s if you are:

  • looked after
  • on a child protection plan
  • a care leaver
  • disabled or in need
  • approaching 18

Your advocate can also:

  • help you write down what is wrong and should happen
  • attend a meeting with you
  • help you say what you want
  • give you advice on your rights and about making choices

Who can be your advocate

An advocate could be some you already know and trust.

That person could be a:

  • teacher, youth worker, personal adviser, your social worker or key worker
  • friend, someone in your family, or an adult that you trust to help
  • volunteer who is trained as an advocate

However, if you don’t know anybody and you need help to talk about what is wrong or to make a complaint, our complaints team can arrange for you to have an advocate.