How to get involved with Scrutiny

Suggest a commission

Members involved in the scrutiny process are keen to investigate and review the issues that matter to people in Brent. If you feel there is something our scrutiny team should look at as part of its work programme, let us know.

Attend a meeting

All Scrutiny Committee and commission meetings are open to the public. Please check our meetings calendar or specific committee or sub-committee pages for more information about meeting dates and locations. Members will be assisted in their scrutiny work by senior scrutiny officers from the Strategy & Partnerships team.

The chief executive will attend all meetings of the Scrutiny Committee. Members will be assisted in their scrutiny work by officers from the Policy and Scrutiny Team.

Contribute your views

If you have a particular interest or expertise in an issue that is being investigated by a scrutiny commission, you may submit written evidence or just share your views with the committee.

Ask a public question

Public notice questions provide an opportunity for local people to get involved in the democratic process through the submission of questions which will be considered either by officers or at a formal committee meeting.

If you would like to do this, you should contact us 24 hours before the committee meeting. Your question should also relate to an item on the committee agenda.

View more information about asking a public question


The council's constitution allows for the Community and Wellbeing scrutiny committee to appoint up to three people as non-voting co-optees. Co-optees may also be appointed to commissions. If you would like to be considered as a co-optee for a particular commission please contact the lead scrutiny officer via the Strategy & Partnerships team.


The council's petition scheme includes provisions whereby a petitioner can call for a senior officer to be held to account at a scrutiny meeting (providing the petition is supported by at least 1500 petitioners). Furthermore if a petitioner is not satisfied with the council's response to a petition he or she can request that a scrutiny committee review the council's response.

Councillor Call for Action

The Councillor Call for Action (CCfA) provides a mechanism for a Councillor to seek to resolve a local problem or an issue of local concern by referring the matter to the Scrutiny Committees.

CCfA is intended as a measure of 'last resort', with issues being raised at committee only after all other avenues for resolution have been exhausted. In submitting a CCfA the Councillor will be required to demonstrate that all reasonable efforts have been taken to resolve the matter.

Read more about Councillor Call for Action