How do I become a councillor?
Who can become a councillor?
If you wish to stand at a local election you must be:
- a British citizen, a citizen of the Commonwealth, the Republic of Ireland or of another European Union State
- 18 years of age or older.
You must also meet at least one of the following four qualifications on the day you are nominated and on polling day:
- be registered as a local government elector for Brent
- occupied as an owner or tenant any land or other premises in Brent during the whole of the 12 months before the day you are nominated
- worked only or mainly in Brent during the last 12 months
- lived in Brent during the whole of the last 12 months.
You cannot stand as a councillor if:
- in the last five years you have been in prison or on a suspended sentence for three months or more
- you have been declared bankrupt
- you are an employee of Brent Council
- you have been disqualified.