About the programme
The NGDP is a two-year high profile national management trainee programme for high calibre graduates with the potential to become senior managerial leaders in local government within the next ten years.
The graduate development programme is a unique opportunity for committed graduates to make a positive impact in Brent and provide experience in a dynamic, exciting and socially responsible council.
All graduates will attend a structured induction programme and receive on-going support including the allocation of a consistent line manager, host managers for each of their placements and a mentor who will be a director from the Senior Management Team.
You will be working consistently with senior managers and directors across the Council, on a range of key strategic and important operational projects.
Read more about the National Graduate Development Programme.
Graduates are employed on a 36-hour week contract and complete four placements over the two years in front line, and are required to complete placements in corporate, strategic, operational and front-line service areas.
Placements are decided based on candidates’ preferences and the Council’s business needs. Our programme adopts a council-wide approach with placements available across the whole Council, including with the Chief Executive and Leadership Team.
You will also attend three residential events at Warwick University where you will gain a postgraduate ILM (Diploma in Leadership and Management) qualification Level 7.
The salary of each graduate is Scale 6, £26,745 increasing to £27,717 in the second year on the scheme. We go further, Brent Council will guarantee graduates (who complete the NGDP satisfactorily) a further 1 year fixed-term contract where the salary rises to £35,724.
If you have never thought of working for your local borough council before, now is the time. We are offering Brent residents the opportunity to join our graduate scheme. We welcome Brent locals who are passionate about making Brent a better place to live.
To apply for the scheme you must meet at least one of the following criteria below:
- Currently a Brent resident and have been for two or more years.
- Former student at a Brent secondary or further education establishment (this includes school, college, PRU)
- Brent Care leaver
- Brent Council Employee for more than a year
Benefits of Brent Council’s local scheme:
- Support throughout the application process: All local applicants will be given the opportunity to receive support throughout the process from existing Brent graduates.
- Optional third year: Brent Council will guarantee graduates, who complete the core programme satisfactorily, a further 1 year fixed-term contract.
- Live and work in a diverse area you are familiar with: The local scheme is a unique opportunity for Brent locals to make a positive impact in their borough and provide experience in a dynamic, exciting and socially responsible council.
- Exposure to senior leaders: All graduates are assigned a senior mentor who will be a director from the Senior Management Team. Alongside this, graduates will be given the opportunity to have informal lunches with the Chief Executive.
- Strong support network: All graduates will be provided with an existing graduate as a buddy, regular feedback sessions and 1:1 meetings with the graduate scheme’s placement coordinator. With 16 graduates currently on the programme, peer support will be provided throughout the scheme and beyond.
Alongside the benefits of the graduate scheme, you will be receive support throughout the NGDP application process from existing Brent graduates.
If applicants are unsuccessful after interviewing at Brent Council (Stage 4), they will have the opportunity to be included in the NGDP’s national pool of candidates and where possible, may interview at other councils.
Should you require more details email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
How to apply
Applications for the scheme are now closed and will open in Autumn 2021