Housing Benefit (HB) and Council Tax Support (CTS)
How to register your online account for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support (HB and CTS)
- If you are making a new claim, click on ‘apply for housing benefit’ to start your application form. Once you have submitted this, you need to wait until you receive your notification letter or an email from us that confirms your weekly entitlement and that your claim is now assessed
- Do not use the option ‘Register Account’ until the above is done
- Reporting a Change of Circumstances / viewing existing Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support claim, you will be required to register your Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support account by clicking on ‘Register Account’
Help with filling in the form
- Claim number: if your reference number starts with two, it will end with a number and it will be a seven digit number. If your reference starts with zero, it will either end with a number or a letter and it will be eight characters in total. This can be found on your notification letters. If you cannot find the number, please click on the purple button ‘Need Help’ to chat with an advisor.
- First name and Last (family) name: must be exactly the same name that you created the account with or as per our Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support notification letter.
- Middle name: this is optional.
- Address: this must be exactly as per your current Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support claim, if you are reporting a change of address, you still need to register your account using your old address for it to match with our system.
- Claim security information: you need to enter your date of birth (which must be entered in the following format: 01/01/1990), or your national insurance number.
Registration can fail for the following reasons:
- Name not matching as per your Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support letter
- Date of birth and national insurance number not matching as per details you submitted when making your Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support claim
- Address not matching as per Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support letter
You will get three attempts to register your account using the above options. If registration fails, please try our live chat with an advisor below.
When you click on 'Register' you will get this message (see screenshot below). You have now registered your 'My Account' for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support successfully.
Council Tax (CT)
How to register your online account for Council Tax (CT)
My Account helps you to manage your council tax by allowing you to:
- view details of your account
- set up a direct debit to pay your council tax
- change your direct debit bank account details
- apply for a single person discount or an unoccupied (and unfurnished) property exemption
- apply for refunds.
You will still receive all your council tax bills through the post.
Before you can view your council tax records you must have received a council tax bill from us.
If you haven’t told us you are a new resident liable for council tax, you can do so online and we will update our records and send you a bill.
Registering for more than one Council Tax account
Once you have registered to gain online access to one council tax account, you’ll find a link to add another account on the Council Tax menu.
Council Tax accounts in more than one name
Each person wishing to access their council tax account will need to register independently before they can view their information. They should enter only their own name as it appears on the council tax accounts — not anyone else’s.