Register your online account
How to register your online account for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support (HB and CTS)
Once signed into your My Account you need to select the option for Housing Benefit and Council Tax support, where you will see the services available:
- make a housing benefit or council tax support application
- tell us about a change of circumstance
- apply for Discretionary Housing payment
- dispute a housing benefit decision
- pay back a housing benefit overpayment
Make a new application
Step 1: To make a new claim for housing benefit and council tax support, click on ‘apply for housing benefit’ to start your application form.
Step 2: You will get a decision letter or email within 10 working days confirming your reference number and weekly entitlement
Step 3: Please use the reference number to register your account. You will not be able to register your account until you have received the decision letter from us.
Report a change of circumstances or view your Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support claim
You will need to register your Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support account by clicking on ‘Register Account’
We will ask you for:
- Claim number: if your reference number starts with two, it will end with a number and it will be a seven digit number. If your reference starts with zero, it will either end with a number or a letter and it will be eight characters in total. This can be found on your notification letters. If you cannot find the number, please click on the purple button ‘Need Help’ to chat with an advisor.
- First name and Last (family) name: must be exactly the same name that you appears on your Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support notification letter.
- Middle name: this is optional.
- Address: this must be exactly as per your current Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support claim, if you are reporting a change of address, you still need to register your account using your old address for it to match with our system.
- Claim security information: you need to enter your date of birth (which must be entered in the following format: 01/01/1990), or your national insurance number.
Registration can fail for the following reasons:
- Name not matching as per your Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support letter
- Date of birth and national insurance number not matching as per details you submitted when making your Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support claim
- Address not matching as per Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support letter
You will get three attempts to register your account using the above options. If registration fails, please call 020 8937 1800 and select option 3
When you click on 'Register' you will get this message - You have now registered your 'My Account' for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support successfully and you will be able to see your account information.
Once you have successfully registered, you will be able to see:
- Payment dates and amounts
- Household information
- Report a change of circumstances