Freedom of Information

General Information

The Freedom of Information Act 2000 gives a right of access to a wide range of information held by public authorities, including local councils, central government,  the police, schools and NHS.

The Act came into effect in two stages - since March 2003 public authorities have been required to maintain a Publication Scheme and from January 2005 any person has a statutory right to request information under the Act.

Publication Scheme

The publication scheme is a guide to the type of information we routinely publish.

Please take a look at the publication scheme before making a request, to see whether the information you require is included.

If the information you wish to see is not included within the scheme, you are still able to make a request under the general right of access.

How to make a request

You can make a request in writing or by email, to the appropriate service area or Brent Customer Services.

Alternatively you can email or write to:

Principal FOI Officer
Brent Civic Centre
Engineers Way

We have an obligation to inform you whether the council holds that information and if it does to provide the information (subject to exemptions) within 20 working days of receipt of your request.


The Act does provide certain exemptions to the general right of access. If any of the information requested is exempt, you will be informed which exemption applies and why. Examples include information that is commercially sensitive, confidential or readily available elsewhere.

Some requests for information may be covered by other legislation, such as environmental information which can be accessed through Environmental Information Regulations or personal data which is covered by the Data Protection Act 1998.

Should we be unable to supply anything you request, we will explain the reasons to you.


Generally there will be no fee or charge for requested information.

However, we will charge for disbursements, or in other words for photocopying, postage etc., where they will exceed £2.

The cost of disbursements based on the following:

  • 10p per sheet of photocopy, print out and printed covering letter, regardless of sheet size or colour copy
  • the actual cost of postage
  • where a specific request is made for presentation in a particular form, the actual cost of doing so (e.g. CD Rom)
  • £25 per hour for staff time if it is necessary for a member of staff to accompany somebody requesting to inspect records (this should be refused if there is a danger of them accessing confidential or otherwise sensitive information even if accompanied)
  • costs of translation into another language
  • VAT will be chargeable in the circumstances that someone else holds the information as well as us

The Fees Regulations state that responding to high cost requests that will cost over £450 is discretionary.

The Executive of Brent Council has decided that such requests will be refused.

Re-use of info

Re-use of Public Sector Information (PSI)

New regulations governing the re-use of public sector information came into force in July 2005 (Statutory Instrument 1515).

These provide that public sector bodies have a discretion to permit the 're-use' of information and sets out guidelines for doing so.

Other than for commercial purposes the we are happy to permit re-use but cannot accept any liability arising from the use of the information.

If you wish to re-use information that has been made available to you through FOI for commercial purposes you will need to apply for permission in writing or by email to the IT Standards Manager.




Should you be dissatisfied with the outcome of your request for information you have the right to complain, which will trigger an internal review. If you are dissatisfied with the outcome of the review, you have a right to appeal to the Information Commissioner.

To request a review, contact the Complaints and FOI manager by:


Writing to

Complaints and FOI manager
Brent Civic Centre
Engineers Way

Taking your complaint to the Information Commissioner

The Information Commissioner can be contacted by:

Email (please include your telephone number)


0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745 if you prefer to use a national rate number


01625 545 510

Writing to

The Information Commissioner
Wycliffe House
Water Lane
Wilmslow, Cheshire


Contact us form