Assisted living, (also known as Extra care housing) provides housing with some care. It is ideal for older people who have additional care needs but don’t want to move into a care or nursing home. It offers the privacy and security of your own home but with the reassurance that there is professional help and care available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
You also have access to a variety of communal facilities including lounges, dining rooms and gardens to socialise with neighbours and take part in various activities.
What support is available?
- 24-hour help with personal and practical care needs such as bathing, dressing, shopping or cleaning
- one or more meals every day, which can help to ensure that residents receive their minimal nutritional value per day
- help to complete common domestic and housing tasks, such as reporting repairs and managing the tenancy
- assistive technologies to support residents
- nursing care for certain medical conditions
- community health services including, community dentistry, chiropody services, and community pharmacy services.
The amount you pay will depend on the benefits you receive and your financial situation.
Am I eligible?
You may qualify for extra care housing if you:
- are between 50 and 55 years old or over (different schemes have different age eligibility)
- are a Brent resident
- have eligible assessed care needs
- have a housing need, as well as a care need.
Your care manager (social worker) will need to refer you to the extra care housing scheme.
If you do not have a care manager, please contact us for more information.