As we get older our needs change and some everyday tasks that we take for granted can become more difficult, such as getting up and down stairs or in and out of the bath.
There may come a time when you, or a loved one, can no longer live independently.
Residential and nursing care can be the best option if you or someone you know:
- is struggling to live alone – even with help from friends, family or paid carers
- had a needs assessment that suggested a care home is the best choice
- has a complex medical condition – that needs specialist attention during the day and night
The services they provide might include:
- meals and accommodation
- help with personal care, e.g. bathing and dressing
- staff available 24 hours a day
- physical and emotional care
- care as a result of a short illnesses
Moving into a care home is an important decision. You will need to think about what you want, the care that is needed and how much it will cost. The sooner you work out what is needed, the better. It can help you having to avoid rushing into a choice that isn't right for your or your family.