Reablement is a short term and intensive service designed to help people in their recovery after an illness or disability. It helps the patient to re-learn important skills needed for daily living whilst allowing maximum independence.
Our reablement service aims to:
- maximise independence, dignity and well-being
- reduce the need for ongoing care packages
- avoid unnecessary hospital admissions and reduce length of stay in hospital
- help people who require ongoing care and support, even after the initial service has ended.
This service is provided by a multi-disciplinary team including, social workers, care assessors, occupational therapists and OT assistants.
Am I eligible?
The service is available if you are:
- a Brent resident aged over 18 who requires short-term intensive assistance with daily living goals
- struggling with daily activities such as washing, dressing, eating, moving around inside and outside the home and social interaction because of a recent illness or injury
- medically stable and willing to take part in a reablement programme.
What support is available?
Our team will work with you to identify which areas you need support with and then, with you, they will set goals to help you to achieve independence in these areas.
With our reablement package, you will get up to six weeks of care or a total of 72 hours where appropriate. This is conditional on you committing to making progress towards achieving their goals.
There is no charge for this service.
If you need more support from us after your reablement care package finishes, you may have to contribute towards the cost of additional care. You will need to complete a financial assessment, which we will use to decide if and how much you will pay for your on-going care support.
What happens after?
At the end of you reablement care support, our aim is that you will be able to complete daily tasks with little or no support and live independently again .
If you still need support after your initial period of care, we will discuss with you how best to meet your future needs.
How to access this service
This service is only available through a referral.
If you are currently in hospital, you will normally be referred to us directly. We will do an assessment with you in your home either on the day you are discharged or the next day.
If you are currently at home, use our online contact form to make a referral.