Fireworks - Licence Application for Businesses Trading in the London Borough of Harrow
If you plan to sell or store fireworks you will need a licence. If you are a business located in the London Borough of Brent please use the Fireworks and explosives licence page. If you are a business located in the London Borough of Harrow please read below.
To sell or store fireworks in the London Borough of Harrow, the occupier of the premises must register with Brent & Harrow Trading Standards Service (who are acting on behalf of London Borough of Harrow).
How do I apply for a licence?
- If you are a Harrow business and want to store no more than 2000kg of explosives, apply for a fireworks licence. If you want to store more than 2000kg of explosives you should apply to the Health and Safety Executive for a licence
- If more than 5 people work at the premises, you will need to complete a Risk Assessment
- If you want to apply to sell fireworks all year round, you will need to download and complete an application to sell fireworks all year round(.pdf, 64.6kB) which cost £500 per year in addition to standard licence
Fees are set by the Health and Safety Executive, reviewed every 5 years and are set out in the current Health and Safety and Nuclear (Fees) Regulations 2021.
|Type of Application||Duration||Fee|
|License to store explosives where, a minimum separation distance of greater than 0 metre is prescribed by the 2014 Regulation (Exceeding 250kg up to 2000kg)||
|Renewal of licence to store explosives where a minimum separation distance of greater than 0 metres is prescribed (Exceeding 250kg up to 2000kg)||
|Licence to store explosives where no minimum separation distance or a 0 metres minimum separation distance is prescribed (Up to 250kg (or 75kg) )||
|Renewal of licence to store explosives where no minimum separation distance or a 0 metres minimum separation distance is prescribed (Up to 250kg (or 75kg) )||
Licences for fireworks and other explosives that do not require an explosive certificate may be granted for up to 5 years as the licensing authority determines but normally only a one year licence will be issued, further information on fees can be found at www.hse.gov.uk/explosives/index.htm
The London Borough of Harrow annual licenses, are issued for the period 1 September to 31 August.
If your licence has lapsed you may not be able to renew the license at a discount price so application to renew the license must arrive at our offices before the end of August.
Prohibition on sale of Fireworks
There is prohibition on the sale of fireworks to the public except for
- Chinese New Year and the preceding 3 days;
- Diwali and the preceding 3 days;
- 15 October to 10 November (Bonfire Night celebrations)
- 26 - 31 December (for New Year celebrations).
Traders will need to apply for an additional licence under the Fireworks Regulations 2004 to supply fireworks outside these 4 periods. To sell fireworks all year round cost £500 per year in addition to standard licence.
Reminder: ALL fireworks and explosives offered for sale must be CE marked. They should comply with current safety legislation and any old fireworks marked with British Standards must be disposed of safely.
If you have any further queries or concerns please contact firstname.lastname@example.org