Barnet and Southgate College provides specially designed courses for students with learning difficulties and disabilities at its Centre of Excellence in Enfield.
The centre gives students the opportunity to learn in a safe environment entirely tailored to their individual needs, helping them to develop communication, independent living and work skills that will equip them with the best chance of being economically active and building a life in their local communities.
Every learner has a personal tutor to give individual advice, monitor progress and help identify suitable progression routes. There are practical and vocational learning opportunities and therapies that develop living, working and communication skills, enhanced by a range of purpose-built facilities including:
- A hydrotherapy pool
- Sensory room
- Physiotherapy facility
- Rebound room and specialist sports equipment
- A range of specialist classrooms and accessible facilities with ceiling tracking
- Mini sports hall
- Media suite
- Catering café and domestic kitchen
- Drama room with staging, lighting and specialist equipment
- Sensory and recreational garden
- Range of art and craft rooms
The college also runs its Steps into Work programme for people with learning difficulties as well as a variety of courses tailored for people with mental health issues.