Brent Integrated Diabetes Service (BIDS) aims to deliver high-quality specialist diabetes care in the community and closer to the home of patients.
It is a consultant-led service, which offers specialist clinics and supports the borough's 67 GP practices in providing enhanced diabetes care.
Working in partnership with colleagues at the Jeffrey Kelson Diabetes Centre at Central Middlesex Hospital, the service's main focus is to strengthen and increase the overall management of Type 2 diabetes by offering accessible services that improve the health of patients.
What the service offers
- A named link diabetes specialist nurse in every area in Brent
- Consultant visits to individual practices or localities
- Multi-disciplinary diabetes clinics in the community
- Direct email/telephone support for GPs, practice nurses and patients
- Diabetes 'virtual' clinics
- Additional diabetes education and self -management for on-going and newly diagnosed (DESMOND) education classes
- Group Insulin starts
- Psychological support
- A patient forum