Located within the Library at Willesden Green, the Gallery is fast becoming one of the premier places in North West London to see an eclectic range of high quality art from established and emerging artists.
Willesden gallery is available to hire for solo and group exhibitions by local, UK based and international artists from a wide range of artistic backgrounds to exhibit in 2D and 3D.
Hire our space
If you are an emerging or established artist, curator or art organisation, contact us to see how we can help put on your next show. Exhibition slots are usually two-weeks long but you can extend this for an extra cost and subject to availability.
About the gallery space
The Gallery measures 77sqm floor space with two freestanding display panels located in the centre of the space.
The panels are:
- 2400mm high
- 2100mm wide (front and back of the panels)
- 2400mm wide (centre joining panel)
The free-standing display panels are made of 18mm thick MDF board on a softwood frame, and are suitable to exhibit art on both sides.
We can also hang work from two of the walls within the space using a 'Clip-rail Max Heavy Duty' hanging system. This is approximately:
- 2700mm above floor level
- 11 linear meters of hanging rail in total (2150mm + 4250mm + 4600mm).
The gallery is lit by spotlights operating from lighting tracks. We can remove these or reposition them within the lighting tracks.
Display requirements and restrictions
Due to the nature of the gallery space, the majority of works we display are two dimensional and installed on the hanging system provided. Materials can include paintings, prints, drawings, collage, photography and textiles. Artwork should be framed and/or mounted. Sculpture and 3D work can be displayed in the three glass cabinets or on two plinths available.
We will consider video and sound art, but the equipment required for this, including projectors and speakers would need to be brought in at cost to the Exhibitor.
All electrical equipment will need to be PAT tested before it can be used in the gallery. Cables must not create a trip hazard. A residual current device (RCD) must protect the electrical installation.
There is a small office space connected to the Gallery, which contains a large sink and some storage space. There are also three glass display cabinets available to use for 3D and structural art.
Gallery hire and conditions
The hire is Monday to Sunday. Artists can load from 9am on the get in data and must have cleared down the space by 4.30pm on the get out date. Any work remaining in the Gallery beyond the designated dates may be disposed of at the management's discretion.
The hire is run on a self-managed basis and we expect all exhibitors to leave the space as they receive it. The artist is liable for any damage to the fixtures and fittings in the Gallery caused by negligence on the part of the artist.
Full details and terms and conditions will be provided once your booking has been confirmed.
When you hire the Gallery for your exhibition, you will receive the following for your hire fee:
- marketing and publicity through Brent Council’s social media, website and mailing list
- curatorial and mentoring support by the curator
- printing of 200 A5 exhibition flyers
- hanging system for 2D artworks
- mechanically operated windows
- two plinths (one to place comment book and flyers)
- three glass display cabinets for 3-D display – lockable
- ladders to install work
- lighting and heating
- CCTV security in operation in the Gallery space and throughout The Library at Willesden Green
- wireless internet connection
- disabled access and toilet facilities
- cleaning service
- one late night opening (6-8pm) for a private view. You can choose to extend this to 9pm on opening night for an extra cost of £20 extra
- the use of 80 wine glasses during the private view event
- the use of a fridge.
Artists are required to:
- design the A5 flyer
- write a press release (1-page A4)
- create a price list
- print exhibition signage, including:
- A2 text panel vinyl
- o exhibition Title vinyl to be place on glass
- put work up, once the layout has been agreed with the curator
- bring any tools needed to install the exhibition, such as tape measurements, masking tape, command tapes, adhesive numbers to place next to the artwork.
The curator has the final sign-off of the layout and design of the exhibition.
Artists must submit their application form at least two months in advance of the date, they want their exhibition to start. You will need to include at least 8-10 artwork images with your application.
You can email Nadia Nervo to find out more about bookings, availability and to arrange a viewing.
Submitting an application form does not guarantee hire of the Gallery.
We assess application based on the following criteria:
- artwork created by emerging and established visual artists
- presentation of the finished artwork
- variety of medium
- technical and logistical viability
- appropriateness of the artwork to the site
An application will be rejected if it:
- is sexually explicit
- contains political and religious content
- is offensive
- could cause damage to the building or risk injury
- violates any human or privacy rights
Exhibition setup and promotion
The Gallery can provide assistance with the selection of artworks and curation of the exhibition. The artists are however responsible for the setting up and dismantling of the exhibition and are encouraged to bring their own technical equipment.
The artist is responsible for marketing and promotional activities such as flyers, invitations, posters and advertising. Exhibitors may use the gallery logo and location map for marketing material.
The artist must arrange payment for artwork sales, independently. The Gallery does not charge commission on sale of any artwork.
Brent Council will not be held liable in the event of theft, loss or damage of artist’s artwork or property stored or hung in the gallery space. The artist will be responsible for acquiring a suitable insurance policy for all risks arising out of the exhibition. The artist is liable for any damage to the fixtures and fittings in the Gallery caused by neglect of the artist.
Hire costs and payments
If your submission is successful, exhibition slots usually last two-weeks; you can extend this at an extra cost.
|Rate||2-week hire||Each additional week|
|Individual solo artist - exhibition with no commission taken on sales||£400||£200|
|Group artists - exhibition with no commission taken on sales||£650||£325|
About the booking
- A 50% deposit of the total hire fee is required up front to secure the booking. All bookings will remain provisional until the 50% deposit is paid.
- A refundable deposit of £100 to cover for damage is required at the time of booking. This can be paid by card or in cash.
- The hire payment must be made by credit/debit card or bank transfer.
- The full balance is due at least 14 days before the exhibition starts.
- The fee will be returned if the walls, ceiling and floor are left in a satisfactorily repair on completion of the exhibition.
How to get to The Gallery at Willesden Green
The Gallery is located on the ground floor of the Library at Willesden Green.
The Library at Willesden Green is a ten minute walk from Willesden Green station on the Jubilee line
The following buses stop in front of or near to The Gallery: 52, 302, 98, 260, 266, 460
There is no parking available at this library. The nearest Council Car Park is located at Salusbury Rd