The scheme is for people with or at risk of developing health problems and involves a tailor made 10 week exercise programme, to suit your individual needs.
Benefits of exercise
It is recommended we do 30 minutes of physical activity, five days a week, to improve our general health and wellbeing.
There is strong evidence that being physically active can help you lead a healthier, happier life. By meeting the recommended levels of physical activity, your risk of heart disease, stroke and type 2 diabetes is reduced by up to 50 per cent.
Other benefits of physical activity include:
- reducing blood pressure and cholesterol
- a lower risk of developing some cancers, such as breast cancer
- a lower risk of developing dementia and Alzheimer’s disease
- increases mobility and decreases trips and falls
- boosts self-esteem, mood and mental wellbeing
- improves sleep quality
- reduces the risk of stress and mental health issues.
How to join
To join the scheme you need to have support from your GP or a healthcare professional, they will need to complete a referral form (.docx, 55.9kB).
This is either then sent to the exercise referral team at Bridge Park or you can bring it to the centre. The exercise referral team will then contact you to arrange an appointment.
A programme of exercise can be designed for people with a range conditions to gain the positive benefits of exercise.
These conditions include:
- hypertension (must be below 160/100)
- type 1 or type 2 diabetes
- pulmonary conditions such as asthma
- obesity (BMI > 30)
- sedentary lifestyle with a family history of diabetes or heart disease
- mild / moderate depression or anxiety
What the scheme offers
Participants work with fully qualified instructors who develop a safe and fun exercise programme to suit your conditions and individual needs.
- gym based exercise
- gentle group exercise classes
- a variety of different activities including badminton.
We especially welcome people who haven’t exercised in a while, and the qualified instructor will design a programme around your current capabilities.
A discounted Exercise Referral membership of £20.00 per month or the pay as you go rate of £3.00 per gym session or the exercise referral class.
Membership does not include the sauna and steam room.