Things to read
In this section of our Local Offer you will find information about the educational provision available in Brent for school-age children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND).
You can read about:
- special schools in Brent
- additionally resourced provision in our mainstream schools for pupils with SEND
- post-16 college options
- independent special schools and post-16 colleges
- training providers and apprenticeships
- supported internships
- the admissions process for children with SEND
- careers advice and guidance
Supporting children with SEND
If you think your child has SEND, you should talk to their early years setting, school or college. If you need confidential help and advice about doing this contact Brent SEND Information, Advice and Support Service.
Some children and young people who have been identified as having more complex educational needs will receive support at their setting through an education, health and care (EHC) plan. EHC plans replaced statements of special educational needs and learning difficulty assessments from 1 September 2014.
Other children who do not require an EHC plan, but have special educational needs, may receive extra help in school through a programme called SEN Support as well as specialist services from outside their school/college including:
- Early Years Inclusion Support Team
- Brent Sensory Support Service
- Brent Outreach Autism Team (BOAT)
- Educational Psychology Service
- Family Solutions Service
- Targeted Inclusion Service
- A range of health services
All schools and colleges are legally required to make arrangements to support children with additional needs and receive funding to do this. They must publish a SEND Information Report on their website which shows how they identify, assess and make provision for pupils with SEND. We have produced a SEND minimum standards document that schools and colleges should be meeting.
Find out how we are planning to create more school places for children and young people with SEND and have your say about the proposals.