If you are in a same-sex civil partnership, you can convert this into a marriage at any Register Office if:
- the civil partnership took place in England or Wales
- you registered the partnership according to the law of England and Wales in a consulate or armed forces base overseas
Types of conversions
There are two ways to convert your same-sex civil partnership into a marriage:
- a standard conversion which is a simple administrative process at any register office in England or Wales
- a two-stage conversion where the conversion is followed by a ceremony at an approved venue
For a standard conversion, you’ll need to make an appointment and complete a declaration about the details of your civil partnership.
You will both need to attend the appointment and bring the following documents:
- proof of your name and date of birth (current passports or birth certificates)
- proof of your address (a recent council tax or utility bill)
- your original civil partnership certificate
We’ll draw up a legal declaration for you to sign, confirming that the civil partnership was not dissolved and that you both wish to convert it to a marriage. Your marriage will then be registered and you’ll get a marriage certificate.
Following a standard conversion, you can choose to have a marriage celebration ceremony in a location and venue of your choice. An extra fee will be payable for this element and it does not have to be on the same day.
Brent Register Office offers a modern, contemporary Ceremony Suite, featuring lots of natural light and space. We also have a charming Ceremony Gardens, furnished with a canopy, heaters and lighting, perfect for those who want an outdoor ceremony, whatever time of the year.
You can also choose from one of our approved venues in Brent.