A child or young person not over compulsory school age who helps in a business (including his or her parents' business), whether for payment or not, is considered to be employed.
Employed children are legally required to have a permit issued by the local authority in which the child or young person works.
There are legal restrictions on the age at which children and young people can start work, the type of work they are allowed to do and their working times and hours.
It is against the law for:
- any child under 13 years of age to work
- a child aged 13 (but still of compulsory school age) to work without an employment permit
- a child to work in a type of employment prohibited by law e.g. local authority byelaws.
Apply for a permit
- Download the child employment permit application form (.doc, 210.0kB)
- Download the child employment permit application form (.pdf, 274.4kB)