The prospect of leaving care can seem daunting but you are not alone.
As your corporate parent, Brent Council continues to be responsible for you after you turn 18. Just because you are leaving care, or have already left care, we haven’t stopped caring about you. We want to make sure that you feel safe and supported and know where and who to go for advice and help.
- make sure that you are safe, healthy and are achieving the goals
- do our best to help you achieve your full potential
- keep in touch and provide you with the support you need to meet your individual needs
- always care about you
- make sure that you and people who support you feel safe and supported and know where and who to go to for advice and help.
As any good parent, we want to make sure you have the best possible support to help you thrive as you grow older.
This local offer is made by Brent Council to all care leavers and sets out how we will support you.
Who can get this support?
You can get this support if:
- you have been in care for at least 13 weeks between the ages of 14 and 16 (including your 16th birthday)
- you have been in care for 13 weeks after your 16th birthday.
How long you can get support for?
Following changes introduced through the Children and Social Work Act 2017, you can ask for support from your personal advisor until you reach the age of 25. This is to make sure care leavers get the same sort of support as young adults who live with their families would normally expect.