If it is an emergency that threatens life always dial 999
Keep calm, don’t panic! Think before you act and pay attention to the advice of the emergency services.
Unless instructed otherwise by the emergency services just follow these simple steps.
- close all windows, outside doors and shut down ventilation systems
- if you are away from home go into a close shop or other public building.
- extinguish any naked flames
- remain inside and await further instruction
- if you have missing pets do not go out to find them
- the police, us and education establishments will ensure that children attending school are safe and looked after
- call 999 only in the event of injuries or if a threat to life exists.
During an emergency we, along with the police will utilise local radio stations to broadcast emergency warnings and information. We use this method as radio is incredibly reliable and can still be broadcast and received during power outages.
Local Brent radio stations are:
Tune into local television or radio stations or look at local news websites and follow any instructions given to you.
If you are asked to evacuate your home remember to do the following things
- turn off electricity, gas and water supplies, unplug appliances and lock all doors and window
- have important items to hand
- if you have one, take your grab-bag
- if you leave by car, take bottled water and blankets, and tune in to local radio for emergency advice and instructions
- when you are told that it is safe to return home, open windows to provide fresh air before reconnecting gas, electricity and water supplies.