Essential user permits are usually provided to people that work in the public sector or for a charitable organisation. It can be used to park in a controlled parking zone whilst carrying out official duties.
This includes the provision of residential or community care, health care, social housing management and highway maintenance works.
About the permit
- It can only be used to carry out official duties, such as at a clients house
- It is not to be used for parking at a permit holders own workplace
- It can not be used for official duties within 500 metres of the permit holder's workplace.
- The permit is valid for 12 months
- Permits can be used in resident parking bays or shared use bays.
Please note that permit reminders prior to expiry and temporary permits are not issued. It is the responsibility of the applicant to apply in time before their existing permit expires.
How to apply
Download and complete the essential users permit application form (.pdf, 104.1kB)
Email the completed form to: firstname.lastname@example.org or post it to Unit 20-22, Whitby Avenue, Park Royal, London NW10 7SF.
What happens next
The permit will be posted to the work address specified on the application form. Please allow 10 working days for permits to be processed following receipt of the application.
Things to note
- All applications for Council employees; Council contractors; and service providers commissioned by the Council; will need to be approved at Head of Service level or above.
- We don’t send out permit reminders prior to expiry so it is the responsibility of the applicant to apply in time before their existing permit expires.
- We no longer issue temporary permits so if you are unable to display a valid ESU permit, you will need to find suitable alternative parking.
- We make a distinction between Essential User Permits issues to NHS, Care and Charity Organisations. Please ensure the correct Essential Service User Permit is applied for as this will affect the price of the permit.