Claim Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP)

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs) are normally given as a short-term measure to make up the shortfall or as a one off payment in some circumstances. 

We have a limited cash fund to support families already receiving help with housing costs but whom need extra financial support to pay their rent.

To make a new claim for Discretionary Housing Payments or to report a change in your circumstances, you need to do this in My Account.

Register or log in to My Account  

DHPs are primarily given to Brent residents affected by welfare reform, including the Overall Benefit Cap and Social Sector Size Criteria restrictions (also known as the bedroom tax). It will now also support those affected by Coronavirus (Covid-19).

However, anyone receiving Housing Benefit or the Housing Element of Universal Credit who is suffering exceptional hardship may apply if there is a shortfall to pay in their rent.

Our DHP scheme has been developed to achieve following core objectives:

  • preventing homelessness
  • keeping families together
  • supporting the vulnerable and elderly in sustaining tenancies
  • enabling people to secure new sustainable tenancies
  • providing financial respite for people in short-term difficulty
  • incentivise people into and maintaining work
  • supporting people in education.


To receive a DHP you must be in receipt of Housing Benefit from us or Universal Credit – The Housing Element and live in Brent. You must have a shortfall within your benefit and rent and be unable to meet your housing costs without additional assistance. There are a number of criteria that we must consider before an award can be made, these include your circumstances and the type of housing costs you require assistance with.

For more information, please read Brent’s 2018/19 DHP Policy

Information required

In order to process your application for a DHP, we may require further information. Before completing the form please ensure you have medical proof, 2 months recent bank statements or any other evidence ready to upload which may be necessary to support your application. If you are in receipt of Universal Credit please provide your full notification letter from the Department of Works and Pensions detailing the housing costs element.  Failure to do so may result in a delay with processing your application.