Resident’s Support Fund
If you are a Brent resident and have been impacted financially or personally by Covid-19, you could be eligible for financial support. We have funding that allows us to help residents that need additional help due to Covid-19.
The Resident’s Support Fund provides additional help in the form of an interest-free loan, grant or both.
We recognise that residents have been impacted in many ways by Covid-19 and we are committed to doing all we can to support our resident’s at this difficult time.
Who can apply
You can apply for a grant or loan if you:
- are a Brent resident
- aged 18 or over
- have been impacted by Coronavirus
- and do not have more than £6,000 in savings at the time of the application
- are usually up to date with your Utility bills; however, because of Covid and a decreased income, are you now struggling to pay these bills
- have an agreed repayment plan that you have been struggling to pay since April 2020
- have become unemployed because of Covid and are you finding it hard, to seek new employment, could you benefit from some help with skills training
- experienced unexpected death and funeral costs because of Covid, however, you do not qualify for the Government Funeral Payment scheme
- have been made redundant or had a reduction in household income in the period since 1 March 2020
- have made a new application for Universal Credit in the period since 1 March 2020
What the grant or loan can be used for:
- Rent or mortgage arrears, even if you are already getting Housing Benefit
- Council Tax arrears
- Housing Benefit overpayment arrears
- Household expenditure (food, utility bills and fuel)
- Paying off debts e.g. credit card loans
- Counselling and mental health services
- Skills training and further education to support employment
- Getting access to the internet, a laptop or both
What will not be awarded:
The Resident Support Scheme is discretionary and there are limited funds available. To make sure the scheme supports Brent residents who have been impacted the hardest by COVID-19, it is unlikely that applications seeking financial support for the following will be accepted:
- Parking Fines
- Congestion charges
- Historical debt incurred prior to 1 March 2020
- Court fines
- Expenses for self-employed businesses (please apply for Brent Business Grant help)
You must be willing to provide any reasonable supporting information that is needed by us to make a decision and take any reasonable steps we may suggest.
How to apply
If you are in need of financial support, and meet the above criteria, apply online.
You can also retrieve and continue with an application you have already started. To retrieve an existing application, you will need the application reference number that was emailed to you.
When you can expect to hear
We have had a high number of applications and are working through them in date order, so we apologise for the delay in confirming the decision of your application. You will receive confirmation from us once we have decided. Please note, the average payment amount for grants is around £1,500.
If you have requested help towards your rent, Housing Benefit overpayments or Council Tax, we may pay any funds awarded directly into the associated account.
If your grant is unsuccessful, we may be able to refer you to a credit union to help you with an interest free loan.