Anti-social behaviour

In an emergency always call the police on 999. If it is not an emergency, call 101.

Anti-social behaviour is anything which causes you alarm, harassment or distress. This might include:

  • Harassment and intimidation
  • Disorderly behaviour
  • Street drinking
  • Drug dealing and substance misuse
  • Prostitution

How to report anti-social behaviour

You can report anti-social behaviour to the council, the local police Safer Neighbourhoods Teams, or your Registered Provider if you are a tenant of a social landlord.

If you are a council housing tenant you can report anti-social behaviour on your estate online.

What we need to know

We will investigate every allegation of anti-social behaviour. It will help our investigation to know:

  • Who is responsible – name, age, address, description
  • What happened
  • Where it happened
  • When it happened – date and time
  • How it affected you – was it targeted at you or does it affect the whole community?

What will happen

There are a variety of ways your complaint will be dealt with. These might include:

  • A letter of warning to the perpetrators, or the perpetrator’s landlord
  • The use of anti-social behaviour tools and powers can be used against persistent offenders and problem areas; for example, community protection notices, criminal behaviour orders, injunctions, closure orders and public space protection orders
  • A referral to specific agencies (eg Brent Housing Management (BHM) or other social landlord, Environmental Health)
  • Requesting patrols by the local Safer Neighbourhood Team or other police teams
  • Multi-agency support meetings

What to do next

If the behaviour is persistent or ongoing, it might be useful to keep a diary of all incidents that occur. Include as much detail as possible about what happened, where and when it happened, who was involved, and how it affected you.

If neighbours are experiencing problems as well, ask them to keep a diary too. This will build a strong evidence base to help agencies understand the level of harm caused and how best to tackle it.

More information

More information from Citizens’ Advice Bureau.