A civil ceremony is a non-religious ceremony that you can choose to have in:
- our Ceremonies Suite or Ceremony Gardens at Brent Civic Centre
- an approved licensed venue
The civil ceremony is conducted by two registrars. One registrar will conduct the ceremony, while the other will complete the legal paperwork. The whole ceremony lasts approximately 45 minutes; this includes a short interview before the ceremony, unless you choose to this it in advance.
If you have a civil ceremony, you won't be allowed to have religious readings or music as part of the ceremony.
Preparing for your civil marriage or partnership
- You will need 2 witnesses to sign the marriage or civil partnership schedule. They can be friends or relatives, but should be over the age of 16 and able to speak and understand English.
- You can choose to write your own personal vows and we have different ceremony scripts for you to choose.
- You can invite a guest to do a short non-religious reading during the ceremony.
- You can choose to play non-religious music during the ceremony. This can be played while your guests are waiting, as you walk down the aisle and during the signing of the marriage or civil partnership schedule. You can provide this to us on a CD or via Bluetooth.
We recommend that you tell us your plan and running order for the day at least a week before the ceremony.
All registrations and ceremonies are held in English. If either you or your partner can’t speak or read English, then you should arrange to bring an interpreter. (You can’t interpret for each other).
Our registration services team can help you to plan your day and make it unique and personal to you.
Speak to our team today to find out what is involved