Housing support for those not able to be at home

Brent has a number of sheltered and extra care homes that are specially designed for people needing medium and high levels of care.

These are homes where you will have your own front door and the privacy of your own personalised space that suits you and your life style.

The purpose of extra care is to provide an alternative to moving into institutional settings of care and nursing homes, where personal comfort, choices and independence may be sacrificed for the convenience of receiving 24 hour care.

What extra care support is available?

  • On-site provision or access to 24 hour personal and practical care services. Provision of personal care is flexible and tailored to individual needs, so that as these change, people can remain in the same place.
  • Access to one or more meals every day which can help to ensure that residents receive their minimal nutritional value per day.
  • Access to domestic and housing support services particularly services which ‘work with’ rather than ‘doing for residents’.
  • The use of a range of assistive technology approaches designed to be enabling rather than disabling.
  • Access to a range of community health services including district nursing, community dentistry, chiropody services, and community pharmacy services.
  • View the list of extra care housing properties in Brent

The support you receive may involve different professions and workers with different areas of expertise but there three main areas to consider:

1. Housing support

Housing needs are related to dealing with the environment in which the person lives.

There are regular tasks related to maintaining housing. These are:

  • tenancy management
  • rents and services management
  • repairs reporting and carrying out in the timely manner
  • practical support
  • security and neighbours
  • dealing with housing benefits/ forms
  • accessing help and support services.

In order to continue living independently a vulnerable individual may only need support with some of these issues.

  • Housing support staff are usually attached to the property and could be based on a different location, or on premises.
  • Floating housing staff offer support in your own home.
  • Warden or housing staff in sheltered accommodation.
  • Housing or care staff in Extra Care housing.
  • Carers in a care home.

2. Care support

If you need assistance with daily activities or personal care, the homecare workers could come in to help you with care support.

For example they can help with things like:

  • going to the toilet
  • bathing
  • dressing
  • making a drink or a snack
  • laundry
  • emotional support
  • shopping and planning daily independent living tasks
  • cleaning
  • moving around.

The aim is to support the person to remain as independent as possible, so the care offered will need to be accepted by a person.

The care could be delivered in your own home, in a home specifically designed for this purpose (extra care housing), or in a registered institution specializing in the care delivery (care home, nursing home).

3. Nursing care

A number of medical conditions (chronic) can be managed in the community, without severely compromising a person’s independence.

Nursing care in the community may prevent deterioration of the medical conditions and associated hospital conditions. It could be delivered in the hospital, your GP surgery, Day Hospital, community centre, in your home by a district nurse, or in a registered Nursing Home.

You may need a nursing care in case of:

  • pressure sores management
  • dressings change
  • adjustable dispensation and administration of medicines
  • regular monitoring that requires the use of specialist equipment, or medically trained interpretation of the results
  • wounds, scars management, regular performance of nursing medical procedures
  • administration of some medicines.

Can I get support?

Am I eligible to receive Extra Care support?

In order to determine whether you are eligible for extra care housing support, you need to be assessed by a care manager (social worker).

If you already have a care manager, you can discuss this with them. If you do not have a care manager, please contact us for more information. The acceptance criteria for supported housing with care or extra care is:

  • applicants should be age 55 years or over (unless applying for a scheme with a lower age limit due to the service provided)
  • applicants should be Brent residents
  • applicants require a medium  care package
  • applicants agree to receive care by the homecare provider in the scheme
  • the applicant has a housing need, as well as a care need. 

How much does extra care cost?


The rent is charged by the housing association, your landlord. If a tenant is eligible for housing benefit, then this is used to pay the rent. The scheme's housing support team will help transfer your housing benefit payments, or make a new claim if you have not claimed before. 

If you are not eligible for housing benefit, you will need to make arrangements to pay the rent directly.

Service charge

The service charge is paid by the tenant to the landlord. It will include the cost of lighting, water, gas and some maintenance the property. This charge varies in each supported housing scheme and it is based on a yearly cost, payable weekly with the rent charge.

The service charge is agreed between the tenants in the scheme and the Housing Association. The service charge is not payable from the housing benefit.

The care charge

If you are eligible for extra care housing, before you move into your new home your social worker will arrange for a financial assessment to take place. The local authority will do this to determine the amount of money you will need to pay towards the cost of your care.

Your contribution will depend on your financial circumstances, not your care needs.

Answers to common questions about extra care

I am managing on my own but my health is not good. Would extra care housing be suitable for me?

Yes. Extra care housing has a mix of residents that are independent with those that are frail. Some will be getting a lot of care and support, others will be living independently. The accommodation is accessible and it should be easy for you to manage.

I own my own home, but my friend is a council tenant. Could we both move to the extra care housing?


I already live in sheltered housing. How would extra care be different?

The main difference is that care and support staff are on premises 24/7. You may get more support with managing medication, preparing food, assistance with personal care.

My mother lives in a care home, how is extra care different? She needs 24 hour care?

In extra care she may be able to get the same level of care, but would also have her own flat, where in a care home she has only her room as a private space. She would be supported to maintain her own independence and personal habits, rather than fit in with the instructional routines of the care home.

My husband is very ill and we get a lot of help from our friends and family. Could we move to extra care?

Yes, you and your husband could stay together and your family and friends could continue to help you as they did before, with the added help of the extra care staff. 

My doctor said I should go into a home. What are the advantages of extra care over nursing or care home?

Extra care housing should not feel like the institution. You have your own home, control over your finances and privacy and choice about how you mix with other residents.

The care staff will support you in looking after yourself for as long as possible and you can keep up with the usual activities and routines in the local area.

What happens if my health gets worse whilst I am living in Extra Care?

It is expected that your needs would change over a period of time (and not always for worse) There may be times when you need a lot of support and times when you do not. The care staff should be sensitive in asking you what you need and flexible in delivering it. They cannot give you nursing care, but they will aim to support you to stay living in the same place.

My mother has the early signs of Alzheimer’s disease. Can she move into extra care housing?

Yes. Most people that develop dementia whilst in extra care benefit from staying in the same and familiar environment. Some extra care places specialize working with people with dementia and you may find that in these places most people suffer from the similar condition, whilst other prefer to have a mixture.

Who is in charge of extra care housing?

Most extra care housing projects are built by the housing associations. Usually the care staff work under a contract that is awarded by the us. Extra care residents are involved in making decisions on all aspects of the community they live in.

Can I stay until I die?

The extra care housing aims to provide you with home for life. This may not be possible if you become a risk to yourself or the others, but it is the aim.

Are the flats furnished?

No. You would be expected to provide your own furniture and to personalize the space for yourself. You may qualify for help from the Local Authority with this.

I am in hospital, after I fell in the bath at my house. They say I have to leave the hospital and cannot go back to my own home. My wife was doing a lot for me, but she is now ill. Could I go to extra care? I need this tomorrow.

Yes. You could go to extra care and it may be the ideal long term solution.

Your wife would continue to visit to and you could continue living as a family, with the help of the careers when you need them. Extra care accommodation has walk-in wet rooms instead of baths. However, how immediately extra care accommodation may be available to you, depends on:

  • there being a capacity in the schemes
  • the assessment of the care providers if they could meet your needs
  • funding approval from us for your package of care
  • your viewing of the property and deciding that you would want to live there in the long term. 

We have some extra care accommodation for emergencies, but it may not be available immediately. You may need to make alternative, temporary arrangements for tomorrow, when you are discharged from the hospital. A social worker could assist you with this. 

My children live in Reading. Could I move to the extra care accommodation there? I have been living in Brent all my life and I suspect that Brent is responsible for funding my care?

Yes, but extra care accommodation is managed by the local authority and we can not advise Reading to offer you such a place. You would need to discuss this with the Reading Local Authority.

We could fund your care for a period of time, until it becomes the responsibility of the host local authority.

My father suffers from dementia. He can no longer recognize us and is not aware where he is living. I have 16 years old son and a daughter, sharing a single bedroom. I need his room for my children. Could I put him in extra care?

No. You are suggesting that you father may not be having a capacity to make a decision about where he lives.

He would need to be formally assessed by a professional, to confirm that this is a case. That would trigger a 'best interest meeting' where a decision about what is in his best interest could be made. Moving from his home may be in the best interest of your children, but not his. It is unclear from your question if your father is the owner, tenant or licensee of room and what is your position and vested interest in making his decision.