Looking for accommodation

Coronavirus: For latest information, advice and guidance for private tenants visit our dedicated Changes to Services page. If you have any questions or concerns, call please call the Private Housing team, on: 020 8937 2384 or email us.

You should check the following daily -

  • Local lettings agencies and landlords
  • Websites
  • Local newspapers, Loot, Evening Standard and Pink Paper (for gay lettings)
  • Shop windows, community notice boards, supermarket boards etc.

Useful websites to help you find a home:

We recommend that you also check these websites regularly. Also, ask family and friends to keep their eyes and ears open for you!

Tip - If a property states ‘No DSS’, the landlord does not accept Housing Benefit payments.


Ending of a tenancy

There are several different types of tenancy. The most common is an assured shorthold tenancy. If you are unsure what type of tenancy you have, check our tenancy checker. As there are different tenancy types, there are also different grounds for possession. If you would like to find out more information about the different types of eviction.

Other advice available on homelessness

Hodge Jones & Allen Solicitors - will be able to help you with any issues relating to illegal evictions and landlord intimidation. Is your landlord:

  • - Intimidating you?
  • - Threatening to cut off your electric & gas supply?
  • - Going inside your house without your permission?
  • - Threatening to evict you without a court order?
  • - Has your landlord changed the locks of your property?

Address: 180 North Gower Street, London NW1 2NB
Contact: 0808 239 1099, Fax: 020 7388 2106, Email: brenttrs@hja.net

  • Shelter - housing advice
  • Crisis - offer one to one support, advice and courses for homeless people
  • Brent Citizen’s Advice Bureau
  • The Law Centres Network, may also be able to help. All Law Centres offer legal advice in person and some run a telephone advice line. If your local Law Centre cannot help you, they will try to refer you to another nearby organisation that can, or to a nationwide specialist helpline. They can also refer you to food banks if necessary. Law centres are free for those who cannot afford a lawyer. More information on local law centres near you. In Brent, the Law Centre is located at 389 High Road, London NW10 2JR but you need to be referred by Citizen's Advice Bureau first.
  • Ashford Place is a community resource centre. Their main areas of support are Housing (for those with a connection to Brent only), employment & enterprise, substance misuse services, community engagement, skills and welfare benefits advice. Services are by appointment only, so please call or email them to speak with one of their advisors. Visit the Ashford Place website.
  • Advice4Renters - provides legal advice and renters rights campaign for the private renting sector.