Highway surveys and major road and pavement works
Major road and pavement works in Brent
How we decide what to work on
A proportion of our budget is specifically for improvements to those sections of roads and pavements that have been identified as being in the greatest need.
Some sections of roads and pavements are also renewed as part of highway safety improvement schemes.
These improvements are targeted at roads where no external funding is available.
We, like all London boroughs, receive funding annually for our principal road (A road) network from Transport for London, through the local transport plan.
The sections that are chosen are based on the findings of an independent condition survey. The roads to be surveyed are based on:
- nominations from councillors
- requests from residents and other users of the highway network, which are supported by highway engineers as meriting inclusion
- recommendations from highway engineers.
The survey findings give a defect rating against each section of each road and pavement inspected.
We then analyse the findings for the 'top tier' of worst roads or section of road in these reports.
The budget available will only permit a small percentage of roads being included in the annual major works programme considering the size of our road network.
Following this analysis, these roads and pavements are then prioritised according to specific criteria, structure, safety implications and how much they are used.
Report a defect
To tell us if a road or pavement needs work email email@example.com
Things to read
- Cleaner Brent app - Find out how to report street care issues with your phone
- Car clubs
- Abandoned and unwanted vehicles
- Bus shelters, stops and taxi ranks
- Freedom pass
- Brent travel guide - map and local travel information (.pdf)
- School travel information
- Vehicle crossings and dropped kerbs