Careers in children's social work
Brent Children’s Services are good with outstanding features (OFSTED 2018). We are a ‘Signs of Safety’ borough and were part of the recent DfE Innovation Programme, embedding Signs of Safety across services. Group supervision is creating a buzz, with social workers developing creativity, sharing risk and learning from each other.
The borough hosts Wembley Stadium - just a stone’s throw from the office. Working in a state of the art building surrounded by new restaurants, coffee shops and facilities, you’ll definitely enjoy your surroundings. Brent Children and Young People Services boasts a bright and buzzy atmosphere where your colleagues are friendly, supportive and get stuck in. Brent is the 2020 London Borough of Culture(s) where people are proud of their culture and background – and we are proud of our diverse workforce. If you love learning, Brent is the place to further your practice and career.
Services are responding well to the impact of Covid-19 through our excellent IT and the provision of office equipment for all social workers working from home.
Grow your career in Brent now, there’s never been a better time.
Rewards and benefits
We have a great rewards packages for social workers up to senior team managers. We provide a welcome and retention payment when you join, which includes:
- Brand new 1 and 2-bed Key Worker Housing apartments available on a submarket rental basis, for permanent social workers from early 2021. These are on the Wembley Park site, just a 5-minute walk from the Brent Civic Centre. The apartments will provide social workers and other key workers with a wonderful opportunity to live in a new development close to lots of shops, restaurants and leisure opportunities.
- Salary up to £42855
- £5000 golden hello and relocation packages (for hard to recruit to roles)
- £1200 annual retention payment for all social work qualified staff.
You will also receive:
- A commitment to manageable caseloads across all teams.
- The Social Work progression framework, enabling you to move to senior social worker and beyond when you’re ready. We are committed to retaining the best staff and providing you with the support and opportunities to achieve that.
- Signs of safety informed group and 1-2-1 supervision.
- A small team model, supported by practice consultants with training in systemic and reflective practice.
- A culture of highly effective flexible working, supported with some of the best IT in local government.
- A very generous Local Government Pension Scheme.
- A host of other rewards and benefits such as reduced cost gym membership, London Designer Outlet privilege card, Wembley Boxpark privilege card plus many more.
What Ofsted say
"Communication with children and young people is a particular strength. It is at the heart of child and family social work. Inspectors are impressed by the skills, sensitivity and creativity of social workers and other practitioners."
"The recent re-alignment of social work teams has resulted in social workers having more time to develop relationships with children and young people."
"The safety and well-being of staff is a strategic priority. They have created a culture that is enabling high-quality social work to develop and be sustained. Staff at all levels feel valued and supported."
"There has been significant investment in ensuring that members of the workforce have the skills and qualities they need to do their jobs well. This investment in staff makes staff want to stay."